The One With The First Day Of Sophomore Year

Flashback: May 23, 2009

In the small and cozy town of Mystic Falls, there was a party happening about a ten minute drive from the town square. The town was very close-knitted, that every teenager that went to the local high school was attending the party. But for two twin sisters, the party was coming to an end. Emily and Elena Gilbert were sitting in the backseat of their family's green SUV with their parents in the front. Their fun had ended because Elena, the younger twin, had gotten into a fight with her boyfriend, Matt Donovan. Emily knew from the gloomy expression on her sister's face, that Elena was not going to enjoy the party. So being the older sister, Emily decided to call their mother, Miranda Gilbert, to come pick them up.

Grayson Gilbert drove the family car down the road for a few minutes, before he decided to speak after noticing the silence from his two usual talkative daughters. "So, how was the party?" He questioned.

Emily glanced over at her sister, and saw that Elena had her head leaning against the cool window. She knew that Elena was still sad about her fight with Matt, so Emily reached next to her and gave Elena's hand a reassuring squeeze. Once Elena glanced her way, a small smile made its way onto Emily's face as she mouthed, "you are going to be okay," before she linked her pinky with Elena's. The younger sister finally gave Emily a barely noticeable smile, but Emily still saw it. Ever since they were little, when they made promises, they would link their pinkies together. Emily turned back to her father with a bright smile as she stated, "it was fun." She bumped her shoulder with Elena's as a smirk grew on her face before she commented, "but Elena and I can't wait to beat all of you guys tonight!"

Since Jenna, Miranda's sister, was in town, the family decided that they would host a family game night like they did every time Jenna came to visit. It was always Jeremy and Grayson, Miranda and Jenna, and Emily with Elena. But this time, Emily had convinced their mother to let her and Elena go to the party that was happening down at the Falls for a few hours.

At her sister's joyous attitude, Elena couldn't help but forget about her fight with Matt, and join in with Emily's excitement. "You guys have no chance against us," she joked.

Miranda chuckled at her two daughters before focusing her eyes on Emily in amusement, "you are just like your father, so competitive."

"It's the Gilbert blood, mom," Emily exclaimed with a bright smile.

Grayson grinned proudly at his oldest child while Elena and Miranda both laughed at the two competitive Gilberts. But once the laughter stopped and Miranda turned back in her seat, everything changed. She yelled as she looked at the dark road in terror, "Grayson!"

Grayson quickly focused back onto the road, but his eyes widened as he felt the SUV slide across the bridge. He tried with all his might to get control of the vehicle before it crashed, but he wasn't counting for the railing on Wickery Bridge to completely break underneath the green SUV.