CHAPTER 13

Emily, Elena, and Caroline were walking towards Mystic Falls High School in silence when Elena suddenly turned to the blonde and questioned, "have you even talked to Bonnie?"

"No, I'm mad at her," Caroline stated, "she needs to make the first move."

"Be the bigger person," Elena told Caroline.

"Impossible in her presence," Caroline mumbled.

Emily rolled her eyes at her best friend, Caroline could be so stubborn sometimes, she always has to make things more complicated than they should be. "Stop being petty, Caroline Forbes," Emily scolded the blonde.

Elena looked over at Caroline in confusion as she questioned, "why are you pissed at her anyway?"

"She's a thief, that's why," Caroline stated before she explained, "I gave her my necklace, and she refuses to give it back. It's a matter of principle."

"I am so not getting in the middle of this," Emily chuckled.

Elena nodded her head in agreement, "I'm officially out of it."

Caroline smiled, "good." She turned to look over at Elena as she spoke, "your turn. Where's Stefan? Have you talked to him?"

Elena glanced over at her sister before mumbling, "he's avoiding me."

Caroline looked over at Emily as she questioned, "have you talked to him?"

Emily shook her head as she responded, "all I get is his voicemail."

Caroline looked back to Elena as she questioned in confusion, "why?"

Elena looked over at Emily in worry before she mumbled to Caroline, "it's complicated." Before Elena could think of something to tell the blonde, the bell for class rang. Elena sighed thankfully, so she didn't have to continue be questioned by Caroline. Elena grabbed onto Emily's arm before telling Caroline, "we'll see you later."

"That was close," Emily mumbled to her sister as they began to walk away from the blonde. Elena nodded her head in agreement before the two girls made their way into history class. While Elena sat in the front, Emily sat in the back of the classroom. Suddenly the bell rang and that was when Bonnie came zooming into the classroom and took a seat across from Emily.

While the new teacher was busy writing on the chalkboard, Emily glanced over at Bonnie and noticed the crazed look in her brown eyes, so she mouthed, "are you okay?" But all Emily got was a small shrug before Bonnie looked at the front of the classroom. Emily sighed but decided that she would find out what was wrong with Bonnie later and turned back to the front of the classroom when the teacher began talking.

"Alaric Saltzman," the teacher read from the chalkboard. "It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue," the teacher began to explain, "Saltzman is of German origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now, the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce it 'Ala-ric' but it's A-lar-ric,' okay?" He paused as he looked around the classroom before continuing, "so, you can call me Ric. I'm your new history teacher." He seems nice, not a jackass like Mr. Tanner was, Emily thought. Maybe she would actually enjoy history class now.