The One With The Hospital

Emily sat in the backseat of her own car as her reddened eyes focused on the bright light from the moon that shined in the dark sky

Emily sat in the backseat of her own car as her reddened eyes focused on the bright light from the moon that shined in the dark sky. The other two Gilbert siblings wouldn't allow her to drive home from the boarding house, so Elena was in the drivers seat while Jeremy sat in the passengers. They thought Emily wouldn't be able to focus on driving - which was true. Emily could barely think straight as her mind was still trying to process Mason's death.

"We're here," Elena's loud voice suddenly broke the human girl out of her cluttered mind.

Emily looked through the front window of her car in confusion before she realized they were already home. She didn't even hear the engine shut off or the short conversation her sister and brother had. The only thing she did notice was the worried looks on their faces, which she ignored.

Emily just wanted to be alone with her thoughts for a while. She didn't like the looks her siblings were giving her. It made her feel like a weak little girl. Emily opened the car door so she could go inside the Gilbert house, but was soon stopped when she heard Elena's voice once again, "are you okay?"

Emily looked over at her twin sister with a small shrug and whispered, "I don't know."

Elena quietly nodded her head as she watched the human girl closely. She was worried about her sister. Emily was never this silent, even when their parents died. She would always try to make everyone else feel better. So, Elena didn't know exactly how she was supposed to comfort her sister when it was usually Emily doing the comforting. "I'm sorry we had to do that, Emmie. But Mason would have put us all in danger," Elena told her sister as softly as she could.

"Yeah, I know," Emily whispered sadly as she played with the sleeve of her leather jacket. She didn't blame anyone for what happened, she just wish it didn't. "I'll be fine," Emily told her siblings. She slipped on the fake smile she would be using to conceal the hurt she was feeling and added, "I always am," before she got out of her car and made her way to the Gilbert house.

Emily silently walked towards the kitchen with her two worried siblings hovering over her as she heard voices coming from that direction. But as she stood at the edge of the kitchen, Emily couldn't help the real smile that worked on her face when she saw Alaric and Jenna joking and laughing together. She was glad that at least someone could be normal and happy in this hellish town.

"Hey guys!" Jenna exclaimed once she noticed her two nieces and nephew walking into the kitchen. "We're making dinner," she stated before she giggled and added, "well, Ric says he's making dinner but I might order a pizza if he burns down the kitchen."

"Oh, come on!" Alaric groaned, "it's not like I can mess up tacos."

"You would be surprised," Emily commented as she grabbed a chip from the kitchen table. "Elena burnt and ruined tacos one time," she stated as she threw her sister a smirk.

"Hey!" Elena yelped defensively. "This isn't about me, this is about Alaric and if he can make some tacos," she uttered with a chuckle.

"Well, while you guys make sure Ric doesn't burn down the house, I am going to go change clothes," Emily told her family before she got up from the kitchen table.