CHAPTER 18

Just as Emily promised Stefan that she would help stop Damon, early the next morning, she and Elena were looking through old boxes from the Gilbert family history

Just as Emily promised Stefan that she would help stop Damon, early the next morning, she and Elena were looking through old boxes from the Gilbert family history. They were looking for the journal that was mentioned at the fifties dance, Jonathan Gilbert's journal. Emily didn't know much about the man, only that he was alive during the Salvatore brother's human lives and he knew of vampires.

"Do you think Damon really believes us?" Elena questioned after a moment of looking through one of the many boxes that was sat on the dining room table. Elena looked over at Stefan, who was sitting and watching the two sisters, "that we're trying to help him?"

Stefan thought for a moment before shaking his head slowly, "I don't think Damon knows what to believe. Trust isn't something that comes naturally for him." Stefan explained to his girlfriend and best friend.

Elena shook her head once and turned to an album that she began to flick through. "You know... I really think that Damon believes that everything he's done, every move that he's made, he's done for love. It's twisted, but kind of sad."

"There are other ways to get what you want," Stefan commented. "You don't have to kill people. Damon has no regard for human life," Stefan began to explain more into his brother as a vampire, "he enjoys inflicting pain on others. For 145 years, every single time that I have let my guard down and let Damon back into my life, he's done something to make me regret that." Stefan shook his head, "I'm not going to make that mistakes again."

Emily looked up from the photo album she had been looking through and looked over at Stefan in wonder, "what do you think will happen once Damon gets Katherine back and out of the tomb?"

"I think no matter what Damon promises, a lot of people are going to die," Stefan answered truthfully.

That is what Emily was afraid of. She didn't want Damon to get is way for only everyone to be put in danger. She wasn't going to put her family and the whole town in danger for one vampire, who happened to look like her twin sister. Emily sighed and continued to flip through one of the very old photo albums when suddenly Emily saw a picture between two pages. Emily held the photo closer to her face to get a better look.

"That's Jonathan Gilbert," Stefan spoke up from behind Emily. She looked over her shoulder and saw her sister and best friend standing behind her looking at the old photo. Emily looked back at the photo carefully and saw man with a face full of hair with a dark hat and suit.

Elena leaned over her sister's shoulder and leaned down in the box and grabbed a wooden box that was seated at the bottom of the larger boxes. "What's this?" Elena questioned before carefully opening the box.

Emily looked down at the small wooden box and looked at the device confused. She never seen anything like it before. It was metal and black with brown cloth laces going around the sides and there was a small pouch. Emily looked up at Stefan, wondering if he knew what the device was, but when she looked up at the younger Salvatore, is eyes were wide.