CHAPTER 17

Just as Emily promised her sister, early the next morning she had texted Stefan and told him that she and Elena needed to tell him something important

Just as Emily promised her sister, early the next morning she had texted Stefan and told him that she and Elena needed to tell him something important. Once the two girls made it to the Salvatore boarding house, they explained to Stefan what happened last night with the vampire.

"Why me?" Elena questioned scaredly before glancing over to her sister and spoke, "why us? What does he want? A-and why call first if he's going to kill us?" Elena questioned her boyfriend confused.

Emily sat next to her sister on one of the couches in the living room of the Salvatore boarding house when Stefan sat across from the two girls and stared at the scared Elena. "That's because we're predators, Elena." Stefan explained, "we hunt. We stalk. It's often as exciting as the kill." Stefan pulled out a silver device and handed it to Elena. "I want you to take this."

Emily moved closer to her sister so she could see what Stefan handed her. When she looked closely she noticed it was Jeremy's pocket watch. Emily looked up at Stefan confused, "this is Jeremy's. How did you get it?"

"I took it from Damon, who took it from Logan, who must have taken it from you," Stefan explained to the confused Gilbert sisters.

The two girls nodded their heads before Elena slowly pulled the front cover of the pocket watch open. Elena looked at the watch confused, "what happened to it?"

Stefan looked down at the device in Elena's hands and explained, "well, it's not just a watch. It's a... it's a sort of compass, but it points to vampires." Stefan clicked a small button on the watch and a few seconds later, the watch or compass began to make ticking noises before the small needle pointed directly at Stefan.

Emily looked at Stefan confused when she realized this device was her father's. If he had this device and kept it safe, it must have meant that he either knew the exist of vampires or it was a large consistence. "Why did our father have this?" Emily questioned the vampire.

Stefan looked over at Emily with a small smile before beginning, "Gilberts were one of the founding families, and back in 1864, they were among those who sought to eradicate the vampires. The compass was used to find us."

"Did you know them?" Elena questioned softly.

Stefan nodded, "yes." Stefan stared at Elena for a moment before glancing down at the device and closed his hand around Elena's. "I want you to keep this." Stefan glanced over at Emily and continued, "one of you need to have this at all times. That way, you'll know if you're in danger, either of you."

Emily gave Stefan a small smile, "we'll be okay. I promise."

Stefan reached over and squeezed Emily's hand and nodded and spoke quietly, "I know you will," before turning back to Elena, "I'll protect you, both of you. This vampire won't hurt you."

Emily really hoped that everything would be okay. She knows she can't really promise that they would be okay, but Stefan, she felt like everything would work out in the end, no matter what the issue was.