CHAPTER 24

Emily looked up from her notebook when she heard Mr

Emily looked up from her notebook when she heard Mr. Saltzman speak up as soon as he walked into his history class filled with students. "Okay, this week we're gonna set outside our regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founders' Day," Mr. Saltzman told the class. "Apparently the community leaders feel it's more important than World War 2 but hey, what do I know?"

"Sorry, I'm late," a voice spoke quickly from the opened door. Emily glanced up to the doorway and her eyes widened once she saw it was Bonnie Bennett. Emily was surprised that Bonnie was back, but she was also happy she was. Emily hadn't spoken to Bonnie since Grams' funeral.

"Well, it looks like we will be at full occupancy today," Mr. Saltzman said once he saw the brown eyed girl. "Welcome home, Bonnie," the history teacher smiled softly at the young girl.

Bonnie nodded and quickly moved to her seat, which was right next to Emily, Elena, and Stefan. As soon as Bonnie turned towards her, Emily smiled brightly at her friend as did Elena. But once Bonnie's eyes reached Stefan's, her smile quickly vanished and looked to the front of the class.

Emily's eyes furrowed in confusion, so she quickly closed over at her sister and best friend, who was just as confused as she was. She thought Bonnie was okay with Stefan after everything that the four went through. But she knew for one thing, she was going to figure the reason for Bonnie to ignore the younger Salvatore.

Emily and Elena were walking outside of school when Emily spotted someone she needed to speak to. "Bonnie!" Emily called out to the Bennett witch when she finally saw her outside of school. Every time Emily or Elena tried to talk to her, she would always make up an excuse to get away from the Gilbert sisters.

"Hey," Bonnie mumbled out when she saw who called out to her, before continuing to walk quickly.

Emily quickly jogged closer to Bonnie, "I tried to grab you after class but you were already gone," Emily told her friend. "How are you holding up?" Emily questioned softly, "how's your family?"

Bonnie shrugged, "we're dealing, it's been hard."

Emily gave Bonnie a small smile, "well, I for one have missed you so much."

Bonnie gave Emily a small smile before glancing over at the worried Elena, "yeah, I just had so much to deal with after Grams' funeral and, honestly after Elena told me the tomb spell failed, I just didn't want to come back."

"I hope you understand why I called," Elena spoke up for the first time. "I wanted you to know before you came home."

Bonnie nodded her head lightly, "I understand why. I just wish I didn't know."

It was silent for a moment before Elena tried to speak to her friend again, "I know it's been really hard-"

But before Elena could finish, Caroline jumped in and interrupted the younger twin. "Bonnie!" Caroline yelped in excitement. "Bonnie! Thank God you're home!" Caroline exclaimed before pulling Bonnie into a tight hug. "I know we talked everyday but I missed you."