109

Wednesday:

Scott and Mitch stood outside the hospital, Mitch holding onto Scott's hand tightly.

Scott just stood there with him, waiting for Mitch to be ready to go in.

Mitch took three deep breaths, closing his eyes, then counting to ten.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

Eight

Nine

....ten

Mitch opened his eyes, looking up at the hospitals sign, taking in another deep breath and looking at Scott, his eyes already tearing up a bit.

"Okay," he whispered, "I-... I'm ready."

Scott smiled a little, "I'm so proud of you, baby girl. And I'll probably say it five more times today. I'm so glad you're doing this."

Mitch bit his lip and nodded his head, not trusting his voice. The lump in his throat was building, and the back of his eyes burned with tears threatening to spill.

The both of them walked towards the doors, the closer they got, the more Mitch felt like his legs were giving out on him, the more he felt like he was going to collapse and fall to the wet ground, still damp from the rain fall yesterday.

The clouds above were dark, looking as if it were going to rain again, matching Mitch's mood.

They were a few feet away from the door, and Mitch stopped walking, pulling back on Scott's hand to make Scott stop.

Scott looked back at him, concern in his eyes, "Honey?"

Mitch shook his head, "I-I'm not chickening out... I'm not. I j-just- I... can't walk. I feel like my legs are-are giving out and...." Mitch shook his head more, "I-just and-um... I can't w-walk anymore than-than this, c-can you... can you please- just- carry me the rest of the w-way." Mitch kept going on, feeling like he couldn't get a coherent sentence out. His voice was thick, raspy almost, his mind was clouded, dusted over, he couldn't think straight.

Scott frowned and walked closer to Mitch, pressing their bodies together, Scott's strong arms holding Mitch tightly, securely.

Mitch held onto Scott, "I feel like a wuss." He said.

Scott shook his head, "No, you're so strong for doing this." He said, pulling away.

Scott put one hand on Mitch's cheek and the other was petting the side of Mitch's head, calming Mitch down.

Mitch closed his eyes and sighed, pulling the tears back as much as he could, "I'm strong," Mitch whispered.

Scott smiled slightly and nodded, "So fucken strong, mein schatz."

Mitch opened his eyes again and smiled back at Scott a little bit, "Alright, come on."

*

436

436

436

436

Mitch stared at the number on the door.

This is it. His mom is right inside. But... he's ready.

Okay...

3

2

1....

*

Mitch opened his eyes, he was laying down, Scott hovering over him.

"Baby?" Scott said, "Honey, can you see me?"

Mitch groaned at the light pouring in from the windows, "Too bright...." he said in a raspy voice.

Scott frowned and put a hand on his head, "You don't have a fever. Are you alright, baby girl."

Mitch quickly remembered what he last remembered and shot up quickly, "Where are we?" He said.

Scott's eyes went wide, putting an arm out on Mitch's chest, "Fuck, Mitch, lay down, you're gonna pass out ag-"

"I passed out..? Are we...?" He looked around, realizing that he was in his and Scott's room, Scott sitting right next to him.

Mitch let out a breath of relief, shaking his head, now feeling the headache coming on.

"Are you okay, sweet girl?" Scott asked, locking eyes with Mitch.

Mitch sighed and nodded, "Yes, I'm sorry, I guess I passed out. I had a dream that.... you forced me to see my mom."

"Awe, honey... I would never."

Mitch chuckled, "Weird thing is... you were so right."

"How's that?"

"I should see her. You told me that you love me and that when you love someone, you don't let them make decisions they'll regret. And, you're right... I'll totally regret not visiting her..."

Scott chewed on his bottom lip, "That's so weird because... the hospital called... they released your mom today..."

Mitch nodded, "That's good. Guess I don't have to see her after all...?"

"You should definitely still go see her but... your birthdays in a few days and we're going on a little trip. I was gonna tell you at lunch but... well, I'd rather stay home now."

"Awe, Scottie, you planned something for my birthday?"

Scott bit his lip and nodded.

Mitch threw his arms around Scott, pushing their lips together in a kiss.

Lips moving together as one.

"Fuck... how in the hell did I get so lucky?" Mitch asked.

"You're lucky? You chose to date me... the school asshole, I'm the lucky one."