158

One month later....

"Okay wait wait, let me read you my speech one more time before we leave." Mitch said pulling up his note cards.

Scott chuckled, "Baby, I"m sure your graduation speech is great, wanna know why? Because I've heard it six times already. Its just a small graduation, theres 76 people out of our 378 senior class. Don't worry about it too much, everyone will love it."

Scott reassured Mitch as he picked up their caps and gowns. Mitch grumbled and took the caps from Scotts hand as Scott draped the gowns over his arm.

"Okay but I'm practicing in the car." He said, turning around and walking out of their room, Scott following behind him.

Scott unlocked his car with his keys, opening the trunk and putting their gowns in and everything Mitch insisted he needed for his makeup and hair. He shut the trunk and walked around the car, slipping into the drivers seat.

Mitch was mumbling his speech, looking at his note cards. Scott chuckled at him, leaning over and moving Mitchs face to kiss him.

Scott pulled away, "Stop worrying about it, mein schatz. You're gonna do great, okay?"

Mitch nodded and put his cards in the cup holder, "Yeah.. okay. Do you think we could request to sit next to each other... I'm gonna be really nervous and mix that with sitting next to people I don't know.."

Scott set a hand on Mitchs thigh, "Yeah , I'll ask, baby."

"Okay... thank you."

Scott shook Mitchs leg, smiling, "Stop being so nervous. Come on, be happy with me,"

Mitch chuckled, "I am happy. Just nerves. Sorry, I'll stop now."

"Good because I'm happy and really proud of us."

That made Mitch smile, "I'm proud of us too."

*

They pulled into the school parking lot, Scott pulling into a parking spot and turning off the car. He looked to Mitch, smiling.

"Ready?" Scott asked.

Mitch nodded, "Yeah, I'm ready."

As they got ready and eventually took their seats, Scott and Mitch sitting beside each other holding hands, Mitch continued to repeat his speech under his breath.

Scott kissed Mitch's temple as the principal got up on he stage.

"You'll be fine, mein schatz."

Mitch nodded, "I know... I know, I just wanna make it perfect."

"You will, babygirl."

"I have the privilege of introducing our next speaker. He's one of our best students here at Martin High and I'm pretty sure I've only seen one 'b' on any of his report cards," the principal joked, "Please give a hand for Mitch Grassi."

Mitch smiled to himself, getting up and heading towards the stage but not before being pulled back by Scott so that Scott could peck him on the lips and say 'good luck'.

Mitch got up on stage, adjusting the mic because he was much shorter than the principal.

Mitch looked around at everyone, it was less than half as his senior class but it still seemed like so much.

He took a deep breath, "Wow," he said aloud into the mic, making everyone laugh.

Mitch's eyes landed on Scott, who was smiling fondly at him, making a heart with his hands when he saw Mitch's eyes on him. Mitch chuckled, looking from Scott to the very back of the football field, seeing Scott's parents and his own mom. Three people Mitch thought wouldn't show today.

"Actually... I had this speech planned. One that sounded put together and sophisticated but..." Mitch shook his head, "but it wasn't real. It didn't explain what I went through this year, what I went through with my friends, and contained many fake words of encouragement for us. And I don't want to end my school year with that so...." Mitch looked at Scott again, who had an even prouder smile on his face now, "bare with me for this one."

"I don't know about any of you, but I went through a lot of stuff this year. I lost my dad to a heart attack, I had to live with my boyfriend so that my mom had room to cope, I had multiple panic attacks and had prescriptions to help them. But there's also the good things. I'm one year clean, I got to live with not only my boyfriend but my best friend, I got engaged, and got accepted into the college of my dreams," Mitch said, looking at Scott on the last one because Scott didn't know Mitch had been accepted yet. Scott smiled and clapped with everyone else, winking at Mitch.

"There's also things to come, for me, my wedding day, kids, two years clean, a renewing of me and my moms relationship. And for all of us, college, happiness, staying up late with friends and many coffee runs to stay up studying, the job of your dreams, graduating college, buying your own place, and maybe even finding love. I honestly don't know where I'll be ten years from now, or where you'll be but I  can't wait to hear about it at our class of 2018 reunion. Keep your head held high because if you can make it out of high school, you can make it out of college. Good luck on your road ahead." Mitch finished, smiling as everyone clapped.