126

"Um, okay. You wanna talk now?" Mitch asked.

She nodded her head, "Yeah. Mitchie... I have to tell you."

"Okay.. okay. Honey you can tell me anything. What's wrong?"

"Okay, uh, so you know my dad left my mom?" Mitch nodded his head, "Okay... so apparently my mom is getting back together with him and... they're kicking me out."

Mitch stared at her, "I- I don't know what to say. Do you have a place to stay at?" He asked her.

She nodded, "Well, that's why Jeremy is involved. I'm moving in with him. His parents said it was okay and they're taking me in."

"Are you sure? You guys just broke up. Are you getting back together with him?"

"No no, but he's offering a place for me to stay. So I'm taking it. And, like I said, the break up was mutual."

"You don't think it'll be weird?"

"No, it'll be fine. It's just so similar to the situation you were in and I was hoping for some advice."

"What? Kirst, my father died. My mother wasn't in the right state of kind to take care of me. There's no reason they should be kicking you out?"

Kirstie shrugged, "They said in order to fix their relationship, they just need me to go."

Mitch nodded, "Okay," he whispered, "Its okay. Are you sure you wanna stay at Jeremy's? You can always stay here."

"No, I can't do that. You and Scott are on the path of maybe getting married in the future, I mean- fuck- look at that promise ring. I can't," she shook her head, "I cant do that. I'll be fine at Jeremy's. Maybe the both of us can get closer and eventually get back together."

Mitch bit his lip and nodded, "Okay... if you're sure. Just know you can always stay over anytime, okay? You're on of my closest friends, Kirst. I'll be here for you, if you need me."

Kirstie nodded and, leaning forward, laid her head on Mitch's shoulder. Mitch 'aw'ed and set a hand on the back of her head, rubbing circles with his thumb.

"Is that all?" Mitch asked, "You still seem pretty upset?"

Kirstie nodded her head slowly, "Yeah... there's more. But I figured I'd unleash that on you later tonight..."

"Hun, if you need to get it off your chest, just tell me."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"O-okay," she said, pulling away from Mitch and looking at him once again. "So... it's not really me but Jeremy. We uh... broke up because he cheated on me."

"I thought you said it was mutual."

"It was, it was. Our relationship wasn't going well and he acted out. We both decided to break up together and that we should start with being friends first and maybe work up to dating again... is that stupid."

Mitch set his hand on top of hers, "No, sweetie, no. It's not stupid. That's good y'all are doing that."

She nodded, "Okay."

"Is that it?"

"No... after he cheated on me, he found out that the girl is... pregnant. And, she doesn't want the baby but he's refusing to put the child up for adoption because he knows how cruel and awful that system is. So... he's taking the baby."

They heard a small thump from behind them, causing both of them to turn around and look.

Scott was standing there, wide eyed, "Oh... my god."

Kirstie scrambled to stand from the couch, "Scott,.... Scott, you can't tell anyone."

"Kirstie..."

Mitch sighed and got off the couch, walking around it and up to Scott, slowly, "Honey..." he said, putting his hands on Scott's waist, "You can't tell anyone."

"Jeremy... is having a... a baby?" Scott asked.

"Yes," Mitch whispered.

Scott nodded, staring at Mitch's face, "I- god... fuck, that's... wow."

"I know, honey, I know. Just please calm down."

"Sorry... sorry, it's just- wow- it's a lot."

Mitch nodded and put a hand on the side of Scott's face, "I know,"