A Bad Day

❤️💛

Just get overloaded with angst because I hate school and don't wanna do exams... This is nice though

AU:
Pro Heroes
Warnings:
Angst

[Kaminari's POV]

He was home two hours early.

That's when I first knew something was wrong.

I had an office job for today, so I took the option of staying at home to do the work. He, on the other hand, was called in to work for emergency services, a shift that ran until six.

"You're home a little early!" I say, raising both of my eyebrows in speculation. He usually enjoys working on missions, and it wasn't rare to see him going overtime, taking at least two night shifts a week. I would normally join him in which case.

His lips curl into a smile. A smile that doesn't quite reach his ears.

"J-Just a long day at work, so they let me go early!"

He chuckles weakly.

I wasn't sure what was strange about him. We've only started living with each other for short of four months, along with how long we've been dating. And, though I wish I could read Kirishima's emotions, I can't. His expressions and body language are too unclear, and it's out of my knowledge to know exactly what he's thinking. But the slight crinkle of his eyes lead me to suspicion, and then worry.

I act on it swiftly.

"You ok?" I ask, unable to filter out the concern, "Were you hurt? Can I-"

Kirishima was already shaking his head.

"M'not injured I... I just need to shower."

"Can I set you a bath?" I offer, knowing full aware that they easily calm the both of us down. "We could relax a little, and I can get take-ou-"

"No thank you, I..." He sighs, and his eyebrows crease in what I assumed was agitation. That, alone, moves the claws of anxiety across my chest. "I don't want it."

My second point of suspicion. Now I knew something was definitely wrong. He never takes showers after emergency shifts. He'd never turned down a bath either. Was he actually injured? Was he hit by a quirk? Was his job suddenly at stake?

I don't say any more. I let him do what he wanted, going down to make some instant ramen. He wouldn't be in the mood for something adventurous, I think to myself.

I call it a day at 10.30. It was eerily quiet throughout that evening and Kirishima was mostly on his phone browsing social media. I assumed that he was trying to make himself feel better but the tired expression on his face told me it wasn't working in the slightest.

He was exhausted.

He couldn't bring himself to smile.

That made me wonder if something did go wrong in work. I'm aware that we're both heroes who work on the front line and I know the risks and issues with it, including losing free time with families and friends or being forced to endure sights that most consider as... disturbing.

I assumed that it was something along those lines. Kirishima had seen something he shouldn't have and was still in his stages of trauma. And me, clearly not knowing enough about psychology, decided to not bother him.

Now that I look back, I wish I did something. But I was already in bed, the lights turned off except the one in the hallways, my eyes fluttering shut and welcoming another sheet of pitch black. I feel a warmth curl beside me, some time later, and with that I feel myself succumb to sleep.