The Hilt of a Handle

💚🧡

Requested by Nikolai1617

So here is a Part 2 to 'The Edge of a Blade'

AU:
Normal
Warnings:
TRIGGER WARNING

The one where Kat feels remorse

[No one's POV]

So he did it.

He became Number One hero.

He didn't know how, but he did. And he was there, standing on the stage, a bright smile on his face, stretched out wide in glee, whilst the crowd chant their praises. This was the hero who'd saved millions, and who'd helped shove horrific villains behind bars. He was such a hero! A hero to all!

Katsuki was ushered by Number Two hero, Fumikage Tokoyami, towards the microphone, Dark Shadow retreating when the explosion user silently agrees to do so. He clears his throat, the sound causing the chants to die down, and he looks across the sea of seated heads, proud of himself and his dedicated hard work to get to where he was right that minute.

"I stand by what I said at the Sports Festival in my first year," he starts, "I'm gonna win."

He pauses for suspense, an occasional howl going of in the crowd. His chest flutters in pride, eyes raking across the audience over and over again, then beyond that, to the box where the other heroes, such as Chargebolt and Red Riot, Cellophane and even Hawks. Having such powerful heroes watching his figure shining under the white spotlight on the presentation stage only boosts his pride further. And all through dedication and hard, hard work.

"And right now, tonight, it looks like I have!"

A roaring cheer. One that he could consider deafening. But he loved it, hearing such an overwhelming sound, all towards his achievements and successes, striving to be like All Might. Through his willpower and determination and honesty.

"Thank you," he says, attempting to show that the cheering was unnecessary, even though it completely was. But as he scrambles to find other words to say about his achievements to get to that position, like who he should thank and what catchphrases he could think of to appease the public, a voice echoes in his head.

A voice he could never not recognise.

A voice he'd grown up with since childhood.

You won, like I thought you would.

His smile falters, but not enough for it to be noticeable to the public. And he easily brushes it off, going back to words he'd remembered thinking about in his graduation speech at UA - a little one to wish his class for a good future. And he wants to give hope to the public. To make them feel safe, and more like they did when All Might was Number One. To make them trust him.

I trusted you.

"I-I would like to let all villains out there know that I won't be sitting back, and I won't be watching them do whatever they like. I don't want to see any more murders or kidnaps or any shit like that!"

Another chorus, and it made Katsuki forget, if only for a bit.

"I will be keeping Japan safe, and so should every damn hero out there! We're you're heroes, and we'll protect you, with every breath in our lungs. And I, for one, will stop at nothing to do so!"

He's drowning in the cries and praises of his own name. He remembers, ever since he was younger with a growing inferiority complex, how good it felt to be showered in cheers like this, treating him like a saviour - a God. Hell, it made him believe that he was!