Strings of Fate

❤💛

Get ready for one of the AU I couldn't wait to write since moons ago!

AU:
Red String of Fate
Warnings:
Mild Angst

[Kaminari's POV]

Uraraka was being her usual bubbly self in class today. Her hands were fiddling with the invisible string on her hand, gleefully shrieking out a load of what Iida describes as 'nonsense'.

"I finally got my soul string!" she cried, marvelling the small red thread as if it were a wedding ring. But a wedding ring no one could see. Only she and her partner were the only people who could see it.

"So?" Mineta naïvely asks, and I desperately wished that he didn't. Because now, Uraraka was in a headspace state, dreaming and rambling.

"We're all broken halves of a whole, and God has decided to split the halves - scatter them around the world. The only way we can ever be completed is by following the fated string. Only then could we ever understand the meaning of someone truly being whole!"

Bakugo gives this glare that suggests Uraraka was about to be slapped, and Todoroki, at that moment, walks in with a soft frown. "But I'm already two halves. How am I not-"

"You'll understand when you're older," Mina replies, and I cringe as she gently caresses his back."I'm literally turning sixteen in a month."

Here's the thing. Soul strings only appear on your 16th birthday, exactly at midnight. It is rare for it to be delayed, but it will always arrive before the end of the day. Even if your partner isn't yet 16, you are bound to see the string that connects you to an individual.

Unless you're me.

I've waited for at least five months. Three months and not a glimpse of anything crimson. My pinkie remained bare, and no one seems to notice. No one will notice.

And I'd like it to stay that way.

"Kaminari! You've been awfully silent! Did something happen to your string?"

Because they don't know that I don't have a string.

"Nah! I just don't have an interest in it as of now! I like the way I am right now, whether whole or not!"

It's a little scary, going through this on my own. But, at least I have someone to talk to. And no, I don't know who they are in real life.

"Actually, I'm gonna go to my room. Catch y'all tomorrow!"

"Yeah, see ya, Denki!"

It's an online friend that I was fortunate to meet one day, seven-ish months ago. And, because the two of us are anonymous, I could tell whatever I wanted to them. And they could tell whatever they wanted to me.

Like how they were the only other person I know who doesn't have a soul string as well - months after my own birthday.

I would like to call it fate. I want to say that I like them romantically, because I think I do. They comfort me when I'm sad and I'm always there whenever they feel bad. And, cliché as it sounds, I'm always happy with them, despite not actually knowing their gender. Even thinking about them made me smile. And I feel like we've grown so dependent on one another, that maybe we share something special. Maybe, we liked each other?

I want to say that this was fate. That they could be my destined partner, and that there was merely a fault in the fabric of the universe. That it was perhaps accidental that I wasn't given a string, and that I'd always been bound to the mysterious person I can't help messaging every day! I'm quite a particular person when it comes to romance but, out of all the people I've met my entire lifetime, the person I've gotten to know through my phone was the most loveable, beautiful and all-round amazing human in my world thus far. And I want to believe this was fate, and that this was the person I share my future with.

But I don't know them.

And in what universe did two people who've only gotten to know each other through a few texts have the ability to build and establish romantic connections?

Still, I decided I've stalled for too long. I wanted to tell them. All that changed my mind was the constant reminder that I don't know them well enough and that they wouldn't feel the same way back.