New Year's Start

❤️💛

This title is already giving me PTSD to COntrOl... Man that book was painful to write...

HAPPY NEW YEARRR!!! 🎉🎉🎉

Hope you all have a great start! Try and be productive (like reading fanfics ;D)

AU:
Pro heroes
Warnings:
None

[Kaminari's POV]

Of all the damn nights that I had in this damn year, why did it have to be the final night that I had to do a late patrol?!

I know it was inevitable that I had to work a nightshift - I wasn't popular or productive enough to make it to the top 40 so I've already lost my chances at getting the best shifts - but on New Year's Eve?! The same day that Number 38 hero, Red Riot, gets to stay home petting our cat and watching some gay ass soap operas under a warm blanket?!

The stars were clearly aligned at the worst time. And not just this year as well!

Last year, Eijiro was out with his parents, only because he wanted to spend more time with his grandad before he passed away. The year before, we were both dragged into a fight that lasted us til past midnight and, even then, we were too tired to celebrate the moment. The year before that, I didn't have the guts to ask him - I was too nervous to confess to him because it was around then that I'd figured my feelings for him. The year before that, Eijiro was dating Mina, and they'd went to see the fireworks. And any time before that, we were in high school and celebrated with our families!

Could one New Year's Eve be spent alone with my boyfriend?!

Apparently not! Any excuse that I'd pulled out of the bag was immediately dismissed by my agency! Why do I even work at that damn agency! Nothing even happens at New Year's Eve! Before the incident that happened the year before last, no villain attack had ever happened! And there were no obvious villain activity that could connote anything would happen today!

It was currently 8 o'clock. Exactly one hour before I have to move around. My quirk isn't even that good for patrolling! I don't have the speed that Bakugo has, although I could convert the electricity into shockwaves that I could propel myself forwards with. I sigh, plopping myself next to my lazy boyfriend, who was busy snacking on reduced fat packaged popcorn, watching a random nature documentary on TV. He gestures the bowl out to me, but I wave my hand in dismissal, clearly not in the mood.

"Are you sure you couldn't just reschedule to an earlier time or something?" he asks, a sympathetic and irritated frown contorting his face into something almost abnormal. It was a stark contrast to his adorable smile or sexy smirk.

I simply shake my head, biting my lip in frustration. "Apparently I haven't been working hard enough and have had too many off days so I have to do it tonight."

"But surely they could have mercy on you!" he exclaims, "They'd already dragged you out of the class reunion last minute this year!"

I huff a sigh, another wave of helplessness flooding through me. I knew, when pursuing my dreams, that I had to make sacrifices in the word of heroism, but I'd never think commitments, such as the relationship I have with Eijiro and other friends. Maybe it's just my agency being annoying, but it still gets in the way. Not to mention how I'm being involuntarily signed up to missions abroad, all stockpiled for next year.

"Maybe I should move to your agency," I mumble, "At least they don't treat you like pawns!"

"Nah, they treat us like servants," he replies, but shrugs it off, "The manager always asks for me to make him a tea, and then asks Tetsu to do the washing. At least we're not on toilet duty like Mineta!"