Beauty amongst the Broken

💚🧡

CHRISTMAS ANNNGGGSSSTTT!!!

It won't be too bad this time, I swear. I just want an excuse for these bois to cuddle :3

AU:
Normal
3rd year
Warnings:
Angst

[No one's POV]

"I'm here!" Katsuki says with joke enthusiasm, his arms loaded with a few of their favourite fluffy blankets and two warm mugs of hot chocolate, Katsuki's own containing a few pumps of espresso. Izuku smiles weakly, his eyes crinkling at its corners in attempts to hold his tears at bay, his figure curled against the couch in a foetal position. The two were alone in the common room, the clock only displaying a few minutes past 11.

It was winter, and Izuku had Seasonal Affective Disorder. This is one of the few days in a year where he loses all strength and energy, allowing himself to cry for the pain and trauma he's forced himself through with a smile. This year, during his internship, one of the heroes at the agency he'd worked for had died in action. He wasn't there when it happened, but said hero was one of the friendly faces that he was only just getting to know. There was a hole in his heart - a hole that had first appeared when Sir Nighteye had died - and Izuku had never truely acknowledged it until that day. His eyes had seen scenes that evoked a handful of nightmares but, even then, he'd only wake in fear and panic. No tears.

That was saved for today.

Even now, still, Izuku was holding onto those seams, waiting for his boyfriend to relax beside him. They were both snuggled under the layers of blankets, Katsuki moving to entwine his large hands into Izuku's scarred ones. In front of them, the toasty flames of the furnace that had been installed some weeks ago flicker with life, but with a dim light that enhanced the cosy ambience. A switch clicks in Katsuki's head, releasing Izuku's hands and instead placing them around his waist, picking him up with some difficulty and resting his boyfriend on his lap. With their slight height difference, Izuku's head was at perfect level to Katsuki's shoulder. Behind him, the heat of the fire kept him warm and, in front of him, there was a perfectly comfortable body that he could melt into.

The stage was set.

"You ready, Zu?" he asks, pressing a soft kiss to the top of his head, somewhere amidst the wild mop of hair. A hot sigh is released, the humid air scorching the skin of Katsuki's neck. Izuku then rests his head so that his cheek is rested on a strong shoulder. Again, he releases a weak smile, his eyes glassy with tears but none as such falling from them. He couldn't bring himself to cry and empty the bottle.

"K-Kacchan, I-I'm scared," he allows himself to say, and his vision blurs further. Katsuki frowns at this remark.

This has happened before. Izuku couldn't bring himself to cry because he was so scared to let everything go and let his heart tear apart, to experience that vulnerable feeling where he lays like a broken plate on the floor with no energy to fix himself back together and, for that one moment, feel completely helpless. All Izuku really needed was a little nudge.

"Do you remember when we went hiking to the top of that hill in summer camp?" he asks, specifically referring to this year. They went up just before dawn, sitting in the middle of the forest as the sun rose, exchanging words and kisses. The moment was so precious to them. So beautifully sweet.