Chapter 17

Zhou Yi left the manor with the five assigned servants and headed towards the county town. Upon seeing the section of the road that belonged to him, he vaguely guessed that this time's search and siege operation would have little to do with him. If they were to switch places, even an idiot would know that he couldn't pass through the main road of the county town so brazenly. But if this person was truly an idiot, there was no way he could have escaped from Linqiu County and arrived here unscathed. So, unless Hu Bin had lost his mind, it was absolutely impossible for them to encounter each other.

Taking a look at the five servants beside him, they were the most elite individuals cultivated within the estate. Apart from the prominent families, it was extremely rare for someone to cultivate inner energy. Adding up all the servants and strong men who worked the land for them in Zhou Family Manor, there were hundreds of people. Zhou Wude had treated them well and had even taught them the cultivation method of inner energy. However, due to different conditions for cultivation and conscious control, reaching the third layer of cultivation was already an impressive feat.

The five servants accompanying him were all at the peak of the third layer of inner energy cultivation, and each of them was proficient in at least one martial skill technique. This differed from the requirements for direct descendants. For third-generation descendants like Zhou Yi, they were not allowed to learn any martial skill techniques unless they had broken through to the fifth layer of inner energy. However, these servants would be granted a simple martial skill technique once they reached the third layer of inner energy. This undoubtedly enhanced their combat strength, but it became increasingly difficult for them to achieve further progress in the path of inner energy cultivation.

This was the difference between direct descendants and general servants, and it was a practice adopted by almost all prominent families.

After traveling for half a day with the Cheng family's entourage, they finally arrived at the predetermined location. It was a station leading to the main road of the county town, where they could rest and look after each other.

Since he was near the county town, Zhou Yi naturally wanted to see his parents. However, upon inquiring, he learned that his parents had also joined the search team. Although he felt regretful, he dismissed the idea of entering the city and instead asked the Cheng family's people for information about Hu Bin.

In Taicang County, there were three clans of cultivators: the Zhou family, the Xu family, and the Cheng family. Within the Zhou and Xu families, there were experts who had reached the tenth level of inner energy cultivation. In a remote county like this, it was already considered the absolute pinnacle of combat power. Although the Cheng family didn't have any experts at the tenth level of inner energy, they were the oldest and most deeply rooted family in Taicang County. Their influence in the county was far beyond what Zhou Wude's Zhou Family Manor, established by an outsider, could compare to. Even the current Lord of the city was from the Cheng family.

If it weren't for this, Zhou Wude wouldn't have given so much face to the Zhou family by sending all the sixth-level descendants of the family to assist them. Through private inquiries, Zhou Yi finally understood why the Cheng family was so willing to mobilize manpower to capture or kill a mere fugitive. After committing heinous crimes and being sentenced to death, Hu Bin immediately escaped. However, during his escape, he actually killed court officials on the spot. This was absolutely intolerable to the court. Moreover, the court officials family, which suffered the loss, had secretly promised many benefits. That was the true reason why the Cheng family was so invested in this matter.

Waiting idly in the station for more than a day, the initial excitement had long dissipated. If he had known it would be like this, he might as well have stayed at home and cultivated slowly. It wasn't just him who saw through the fact that Hu Bin would not come here. Even his five servants and the sensible ordinary soldiers in the station understood this point, so the atmosphere in the station was not tense.