Chapter 48

In the midst of the Cheng residence, chaos reigned. The unexpected attack had caught them off guard, resulting in the most devastating loss they had experienced in a century. What was even more tragic was that this incident occurred shortly after the patriarch of the Cheng family's birthday celebration.

The prestige that the Cheng family had gained through their alliance with the Lin family was now crushed to the extreme. How could a prestigious clan that couldn't even ensure its own safety provide protection to others?

Although the terrifying grey-robed figures had quickly retreated, for the Cheng family, it was an indelible and bloody lesson that would never be forgotten. Representatives from the Zhou and Xu families, responsible for the affairs in the county, arrived within a short period of time. They were deeply shocked by the attack on the Cheng residence and secretly relieved in their hearts, realizing the strength of the assailants. If this had happened to their own families, the consequences might not have been any better than what the Cheng family had suffered.

Upon learning that the millennium Blood Ginseng had been stolen, although they expressed regret, there was a hidden sense of schadenfreude in their hearts. However, witnessing the tragic state of the Cheng family, they empathized with their plight and readily agreed to the Cheng family's request for assistance in tracking down the culprits.

After leaving the Cheng residence, Zhou Yi immediately removed his grey robe and black hood and returned home. However, when he arrived, he discovered that only his mother and sister were present, while his father and brothers were nowhere to be found.

Glancing towards the raging fire in the direction of the Cheng residence, he immediately understood where his father and brothers had gone. He touched his face and took out another bottle, pouring a bit of liquid onto his hand. Gently rubbing it for a moment, he washed away all the makeup and then cleaned his face before entering the main hall of the courtyard.

Upon entering the courtyard, Zhou Yi was immediately greeted with a stern expression from Lin Wenyu, who asked, "Yi, where did you go just now?"

Zhou Yi habitually scratched his scalp and replied, "Mother, I went out for a while."

"It's so late. What were you doing outside? What if something happened? It's not good," Lin Wenyu said, her face filled with concern.

Zhou Yi chuckled and said, "Mother, I just went out to practice my boxing. There's nothing to worry about."

"Practicing boxing?" Lin Wenyu's face finally relaxed. Over the past year, she had gained some understanding of her precious son's progress in cultivation. While she was delighted, she also felt deeply puzzled. However, after hearing Yi's words at this moment, she suddenly felt a sense of emotion. They all praised Yi for his talent, but no one saw the effort he put in behind the scenes.

If every descendant of the Zhou family had the same level of dedication as him, even willing to train throughout the night, then perhaps everyone would make great progress.

Looking at her son's slightly immature yet matured face, a blend of two different feelings, her heart suddenly felt a pang. How much hardship had this son endured in order to stand out in the family?

With these thoughts in mind, Lin Wenyu reached out and embraced Yi.

Zhou Yi looked at his mother in confusion. Despite his exceptional talent, he couldn't fathom his mother's thoughts at this moment. However, since he was five years old, he hadn't experienced such warmth with his mother. Being with her now filled his heart with a sense of warmth. He reached out and hugged his mother's waist, and his heart calmed down completely. Even the events he had just experienced seemed to be completely forgotten in this moment.