Chapter 59

Within the dense forest, chaos reigned as the Red Scarf Bandits, numbering in the dozens, were all mercilessly slain, with not a single one escaping. Among them, their leader Guan Wei met a particularly gruesome fate, cleaved in half at the waist by the elder Lord Cheng Ningsheng's staff, ultimately succumbing to agonizing pain.

However, despite avenging their grievous losses, the faces of Cheng Ningsheng and his companions were filled with profound sorrow. A once harmonious family, little did they expect the sudden calamity that befell them. The Red Scarf Bandits, driven by their insatiable desire for the millennium Blood Ginseng, had callously slaughtered the innocent. Overnight, their entire family, numbering over a hundred, fell victim to the looting. Though retribution had been exacted, there was no joy to be found in their hearts.

After a long silence, Cheng Ningsheng let out a deep sigh and uttered, "Misfortune clings to good fortune, and good fortune hides within misfortune." The members of the Zhou family exchanged knowing glances, their hearts filled with solemnity.

During Cheng Ningsheng's grand celebration, representatives from the illustrious Linlang Forest arrived bearing a thousand-year Blood Ginseng as a gift, a grand occasion that elevated the prestige of the Cheng family to unprecedented heights. However, this joyous moment was quickly overshadowed by the onslaught of the Red Scarf Bandits, plunging the Cheng family from the lofty heights of the Ninth Heaven into the depths of hell. Such a swift reversal of fortune, truly beyond anyone's anticipation.

After a brief moment, Cheng Ningsheng finally regained his composure, his gaze immediately drawn to the long-handled broadsword held by Zhou Yi. A myriad of complex emotions welled up in his eyes as Cheng Ningsheng remarked, "If my eyes do not deceive me, this should be the great Guandao( broadsword) wielded by my dear brother Wude in his youth."

Zhou Yi respectfully bowed and replied, "Indeed, Your Excellency's perception is keen. This is indeed my grandfather's weapon, the Guandao."

Cheng Ningsheng's gaze carried a hint of nostalgia as he spoke, "In the past, your esteemed ancestor wielded this mighty blade, sweeping through the entire Taicang County. It was renowned as the number one blade in the county, unmatched by any opponent. Such grandeur it possessed. Even reminiscing about it today fills one's heart with longing."

Zhou Yi's grip on the long-handled broadsword tightened involuntarily. Hearing the evaluation of this blade from an outsider's perspective felt more objective and exhilarating than hearing it from family members.

Cheng Ningsheng's gaze finally shifted to Zhou Yi, and he remarked, "Brother Wude passed down this great blade to you, and you have not disgraced its brilliance. The strike just now, even Guan Wei couldn't withstand it. Truly, a hero emerges in the young."

Zhou Yi awkwardly smiled, dismantling the large blade into three parts and sheathing it, carefully stowing it in his backpack. He replied, "Your Excellency, you overestimate me. Just now, Guan Wei barely escaped from the pincer attack by you and Uncle. He was already weakened, which allowed me to launch a surprise attack. If he had been at his peak, I wouldn't have been able to touch him."

Cheng Ningsheng gave him a meaningful look, seemingly accepting his explanation and fell silent.

The joint assault of the Cheng and Zhou families this time achieved the desired effect. As per Cheng Ningsheng's orders, the bodies were all brought back. According to his instructions, these corpses would be flogged and beheaded as a sacrificial offering to the deceased members of the Cheng family.

Naturally, Zhou Yi had no interest in such matters. However, after this battle, the relationship between the Cheng and Zhou families noticeably improved. Furthermore, Zhou Quanxin agreed to the marriage alliance proposed by the Cheng family. Both sides agreed th