Chapter 57

The broad-leaved trees on the mountain were rolling and leaping in the wind, rustling with a sound like a mighty roaring mountain cat, their backs arched. The mountain sparrows scattered in the wind, turning into a flurry of black dots. On the steep cliff, the slender bamboos grew densely, swaying and dancing like countless raised spears.

Hidden within this dense forest was a group of several dozen people. They were the gray-clothed masked individuals who had attacked the Cheng Family in search of the millennium Blood Ginseng. Since entering the mountain forest, they had been staying here, except for a few individuals who were sent out to gather information, there had been no other movements.

The leader was a tall man with an ordinary appearance, but between the back of his head and his neck, there was an unusual reddish-brown skin that was tightly wrinkled, resembling several small meandering streams on muddy ground. These were the marks left by Guan Wei during his training. Although his appearance was somewhat unsightly, he had a great reputation among the bandits in Taichong County.

At this moment, they had cleared the surrounding area, and there was nothing flammable nearby. They were grilling the prey they had hunted in the jungle with ease. However, Guan Wei's mind was clearly elsewhere. He gnawed on a golden-brown roasted rabbit leg and casually threw away a tree branch, saying, "Tongtou and the others have been gone for three days. Why haven't they returned? Where the hell are they?"

One of his subordinates quickly approached and said, "Captain Guan, after we stirred up chaos in the county town, it must be in a complete mess. It won't be easy to gather information at a time like this. Besides, Tongtou and the others are unfamiliar with the area. It would be considered good if they can give you a message within four or five days."

Guan Wei nodded slightly. Although he had a hot temper, he wasn't an unreasonable person.

His eyebrows furrowed slightly as he said, "I hope they haven't encountered any danger."

Another person quickly reassured him, "Don't worry, Tongtou and the others have done this many times before. Moreover, with their skills, even if they are discovered, it'll be like child's play to escape.

A wicked grin appeared on Guan Wei's face, but he said, "If those guys mess up my big plan, I'll skin them alive."

They had great confidence in their comrades. Not to mention the officials in this small place of Taicang County, even the low-ranking officials in the city of Linlang rarely possessed the internal energy cultivation of a fifth-layer practitioner. Tongtou and the others were all at the fifth layer, with Tongtou himself being a seventh-layer cultivator. Naturally, they didn't pay much attention to the local officials here.

However, these Red Scarf bandits who acted tyrannically in Taichong County were unaware that Taicang County was different from their hometown. In Taicang County, the Cheng family represented the authority. In order to seek revenge for their own family, everyone was exerting their utmost efforts, being extremely cautious and not daring to be negligent. Moreover, knowing the extraordinary strength of these bandits, the Cheng family had long prepared a reserve force, which allowed them to capture the people Guan Wei had sent out to gather information.

However, the bandits remained ignorant of the events happening in the county town, which allowed them to relax and be carefree.

In the distance, a bandit shouted loudly, his voice filled with impatience.

Guan Wei glanced in the direction and one of his more agile companions immediately ran over. After a moment, the person returned and said, "Captain, the two five-member hunting teams responsible for today's hunt haven't returned yet, so Ma is angry over there."