Chapter 20

From the distant dense forest, a series of faint sounds reached Zhou Yi's ears, revealing the presence of a group of people. Taking a glance at the corpse on the ground, even a simple analysis made it clear to Zhou Yi that these people had come to track down Hu Bin.

Stepping back a few paces, Zhou Yi hesitated momentarily before raising his voice, "Who came here?" All the commotion ahead abruptly ceased as soon as the individuals heard Zhou Yi's voice, freezing in their tracks. A resounding voice replied, "We are from Xu Family Fort, cooperating with the magistrate to apprehend the fugitive.

And who might you be?" Zhou Yi furrowed his brow. Although he was young and not in charge of the affairs of the estate, he knew that Xu Family Fort, just like Zhou Family Village, was one of the three prestigious families in Taicang County.

Furthermore, Xu Family Fort(xu Family) had a practitioner who had reached the tenth level of Internal energy cultivation, and their relationship with Zhou Family Village(Zhou Family) was far from amicable. However, in this situation, he didn't want to instigate them actively. He replied loudly, "Are all of you from Xu Family Fort, here for the fugitive Hu Bin?"

"That's correct."

"Very well, then you may leave."

From that direction, several light sounds ensued. Zhou Yi's ears twitched slightly as he recognized them as the sound of crossbows being cocked.

He sneered inwardly, acknowledging the formidable power of crossbow bolts. Even though he had reached the seventh level of Internal energy cultivation, he wouldn't dare face them empty-handed. However, for practitioners like him who had reached the sixth level of Internal energy, these crossbow bolts would only be truly effective in ambushes or when employed on a large scale. As long as he remained vigilant and there were no more than ten crossbow bolts, there would be little danger. After a moment, that resounding voice resurfaced, but this time, it carried a hint of menacing intent. 

"Who are you, and could it be that you are an accomplice of Hu Bin?"

Zhou Yi's eyes rolled back as he retorted, "You're the accomplice of Hu Bin?

"If you're not an accomplice of the fugitive Hu Bin, why do you protect him?" the voice responded.

Just as Zhou Yi was about to speak, he suddenly heard extremely faint sounds coming from both sides. He immediately understood that while this person was engaging him in conversation, he was also assigning his comrades to flank him.

Frowning slightly, Zhou Yi's heart sank. This person was so decisive; he was definitely not a good-natured individual. If it weren't for his cultivation having reached the seventh level of Internal energy, he might not have been able to discern the sounds in this situation.

Of course, this was also due to his lack of experience. If it were Hu Bin, despite his cultivation only being at the fifth level of Internal energy, he would definitely not have overlooked the sounds coming from both sides.

Zhou Yi let out a cold snort and said, "Everyone, there's no need to hide anymore. Come out openly. The fugitive Hu Bin is already dead."

The voices from the three directions paused for a moment. Now that they had been detected, they naturally wouldn't bother concealing themselves any longer. Moreover, upon hearing the news of Hu Bin's death, these people naturally wanted to come out and see for themselves.

After a moment, over ten people emerged from three directions. Apart from three officials dressed in official robes, the rest of them were all dressed in short jackets, which was the formal attire of Xu Family Fort.

The leader was a tall man with no beard, just a few short stubbles on his mouth. He appeared spirited, and his eyes sparkled with a gaze that no one dared to confront. Clearly, he was a master of Internal energy at the advanced stage.