Chapter 136

The stars had disappeared, hiding away in the depths of the unknown, while the dark veil of the night took on the visage of a menacing demon, revealing its sinister countenance. The entire town lay in a hushed silence, as if trapped within the clutches of desolate stillness.

Suddenly, a resounding sound of hoofbeats echoed from afar, a swift horse galloping with a rhythm that seemed faint at first, only to grow increasingly distinct within an instant.

Though shrouded in darkness, the mounted knight beheld the dilapidated gates of the town with startling clarity. These colossal iron doors, colossal to the average person, appeared as though they had been brutally battered by some weighty force.

The two massive doors cracked open, now irreparably damaged, revealing a pitch-black path leading into the heart of the town.

Zhou Yi's heart pounded with impatience. Yet, as his gaze fell upon the gate, his heart froze in an icy grip. Clenching his teeth, he urged his steed forward, and the crimson stallion, as if attuned to his innermost desires, quickened its pace.

Unimpeded, they breached the town's threshold, the thunderous sound of hooves resounding upon the stone pathways within, shattering the tranquility of the night.

Within the town, signs of devastation were omnipresent, visible remnants of a gruesome scene. Blackened bloodstains had solidified in large patches, and in the vicinity, Zhou Yi's gaze fell upon over a dozen lifeless bodies strewn across the ground.

Judging from their attire, they were undoubtedly ordinary townsfolk, unfortunate victims who hadn't escaped in time during the siege, mercilessly slain by the marauding bandits.

His ears perked up, mounted upon his steed, Zhou Yi even discerned the distant commotion, emanating from several sources nearby. Though uncertain whether these noises stemmed from surviving bandits or fortunate townsfolk, none of it piqued his interest to stay behind.

The speed of his crimson stallion surpassed that of any human reflexes, swiftly vanishing from sight when some people, hastily donning their garments and brandishing weapons, emerged from their hiding places.

As Zhou Yi passed by a grand mansion along the way, his gaze lingered momentarily upon it.

This place was not unfamiliar to him. He had ventured here numerous times before.

It was here that he, encountered Cheng master and discovered the Xu family's spy. He obtained the Fiery Flame Technique and engaged in a fierce battle with Lin Tao Li.

However, the resplendent and renowned Cheng Manor now lay in ruins, reduced to ashes by a raging inferno, its former glory relegated to fragments preserved solely within his memories.

His nostrils twitched slightly, detecting a faint lingering scent of charred remains in the air. Evidently, the mansion had not been razed for long.

Without pausing, Zhou Yi traversed the road, making his way towards the area within the town where the Zhou family resided.

Within the town, whether it was the once-mighty Cheng family or the innocent residents, his greatest concern lay solely with his parents.

For decades, his parents had dutifully managed a few shops within the town on behalf of the Zhou family. Although these establishments served as mere fronts to conceal their true operations, primarily smuggling goods, it was his father who orchestrated everything covertly.

When the town of Taicang fell, Zhou Yi's greatest fear was whether his parents had foreseen the impending danger and escaped in time. The thought of returning to the courtyards of the Zhou family only to discover the lifeless bodies of his parents haunted him.