Chapter 149

At noon, the sun curled up the leaves with its scorching rays, while cicadas incessantly chirped, adding an extra layer of annoyance to the sweltering weather.

Sitting opposite Shui Xuanjin in the spacious carriage, Zhou Yi stole a glance outside. It was the time of the New Year when he was tasked to accompany his uncle to the Yuan family in Jinlin. Back then, it was still the depths of winter, with snowflakes dancing in the air. But now, within a few months, the weather had turned hot.

Half a year had passed as if in a blink of an eye, almost like a dream.

He turned his head to look at Shui Xuanjin, the old man who was well aware that his time was limited. However, there was no trace of desolation emanating from him. If not for Zhou Yi's perception as a congenital powerhouse, he would find it hard to believe that the vivacious and cheerful old man before him was rapidly succumbing to the passage of time.

As if sensing Zhou Yi's gaze, Shui Xuanjin opened his eyes, which he had closed to rest, and smiled. "Brother Zhou, I'm just an old man on the verge of entering the earth. I'm not some young maiden as beautiful as a flower. Why are you looking at me like that?" With these words, the old man even blinked twice, mischief twinkling in his eyes.

Although they had only met a few times and barely known each other for three days, for some unknown reason, they had developed a strong affinity for each other. Perhaps it was because Shui Xuanjin, being aware of his limited time, had let go of all pretenses, while Zhou Yi's emotions had become much more complex. However, one thing was certain—Zhou Yi held a genuine fondness for this old man.

At this moment, upon hearing the old man's teasing, Zhou Yi suddenly remembered the scene in the study from yesterday. His face flushed slightly as he asked, "Brother Shui, how did you know?" Surprised filled him because with his cultivation and strength, it seemed unlikely that he had failed to detect the old man's true condition.

Shui Xuanjin burst into laughter, and his nimble ears suddenly twitched.

Those ears seemed to come alive, slowly lengthening until they reached the same size as when Zhou Yi first saw them. If an ordinary person witnessed this scene, their immediate reaction would undoubtedly be that they had encountered a monster. If someone from the 21st century had traveled to this time, they would surely think that the old man before them had transformed into some kind of pig demon.

However, Zhou Yi knew that the reason the old man could achieve such an astonishing feat was simply because he had perfected the innate technique of Shunfeng Er to its peak. Even ordinary people experience subtle changes in the size of their ears when they are gaping in anger or scratching their heads. But for congenital powerhouses, these changes are even more exaggerated. They have complete control over every part of their bodies. Just like when Zhou Yi practiced the Bone Transformation Technique, in the acquired realm, he could only elongate or shrink his ears, but in the congenital realm, not only one head, but even two heads would be no problem at all.

Shunfeng Er itself is an Innate technique, so when it reaches its peak, the slight exaggeration of the ear's enlargement is not an overstatement.

As Zhou Yi looked at those ears, moving on their own without any wind, sudden realization dawned upon him, and he said, "Shunfeng Er?"

Shui Xuanjin burst into laughter, a joyous sound that couldn't be put into words. He said, "Brother Zhou, although Shunfeng Er may not have much practical use in combat, it is, after all, an Innate technique. If you can't even perceive these slight movements, can it still be considered an Innate technique?"

Zhou Yi's expression slightly darkened as he asked, "Are you monitoring me?"

Shui Xuanjin waved his hands repeatedly and said, "I just happened to hear a faint sound during my daily practice. How could I be specifically monitoring you?"