Buying Land

As soon as they drove the bullock cart to the gate of the old Xu family house, they were spotted by Xiaowu, who hurriedly shouted: "Grandpa and the others are back!" After saying that, they ran to greet him. The other brothers came to their senses and hurried forward. 

"Sister, you are back. Didn't you agree to teach me martial arts today? We have been waiting for a long time. When will we start practicing?" Xiaowu asked.

"I'm sorry, brother, I went to town to sell vegetables with grandpa and uncles and got delayed a bit, I'll teach you after dinner. I will definitely be on time tomorrow." Qibao said with an apologetic face.

"Xiaowu, your sister has just arrived home. Let her rest first. Your sister promised that she will do it. You're not in a hurry anyway. Second brother, please go into the house and bring some water out. Grandpa and the others are here. After a long journey, they must be thirsty!" Xu Wenwu ordered Xu Zhiyong.

At this time, the women at home heard the noise in the yard and came out of the house one after another. Seeing the Elder. Xu and others coming back, Mrs. Wang said: "Quick, go back into the house and rest first!"

Looking at the empty oxcart, the sisters-in-law knew that the vegetables must have been sold, and they were very happy, so they followed them into the house. The whole family sat in the hall, all wanting to know how much the vegetables were sold for.

Xu Laosan spoke up and told the event's for everyone what happened in the town one by one. When they heard that the masters were humiliated by the Yipinxian waiter, all of them had expressions of indignation on their faces! Hearing that the vegetables were sold to Zuixianlou and a long-term contract was signed, everyone's faces were filled with joy.

Elder. Xu took the silver out of his arms and handed it over to his wife, who took the silver with a joyful face and commanded: "Everyone in the main family, the second family, and the third family, hurry up and bring out the finished meal, eat first." The three wives agreed and walked to the kitchen.

After the family ate lunch, the Elder. Xu said: "I will go to the village chief's house right away and buy a few acres of land next to it. I will also return the oxcart. Old lady, please bring two bags of the snacks I bought. You can't just ask someone to do something empty-handed."

After receiving the snacks, the old man took Qibao and the cow and walked towards the village chief's house. When he arrived at the village chief's house, he saw the village chief's wife cleaning up the dishes, presumably having just finished lunch as well. 

Seeing Elder. Xu entering the house with Qibao, she greeted him: "Why are you here, Elder? You're here to see my old man, aren't you? You guys sit down first, I'll go inside and call out to him." Without waiting for a reply, she ordered her daughters-in-law to pour tea and went inside to call the village chief.

Not long after, the village chief came out from the house, seeing Elder. Xu, he asked: "How did you find the time to come to my place, brother? Is there something wrong?"

At this time, the village chief's daughter-in-law came in with two bowls of water, and specially made sugar water for Qibao, a child. Sugar is very valuable in farm families. When Qibao saw this, she thanked her sweetly, which made the village chief's daughter-in-law feel strange for a while.

"Village Chief, it's like this. I want to buy the vacant land next to my old house. I don't know how much money it will cost?" Elder. Xu asked.

When the village chief heard that he was here to buy land, he was surprised and asked: "Did you buy the land to grow crops? The open space next to your house is not suitable for growing crops."

Elder. Xu replied: "Village Chief, you've misunderstood, I'm buying land to build a house."

When the village chief hears this, building a house is a big deal, and quickly said: "The land next to your house is quite big. I wonder how much you want to buy?"

Elder. Xu added: "I'm going to buy all the land next to the house and build a bigger house. You also know that my family has a large population, and the kids are all grown up, so they'll need to have a room to get married in the future, won't they?"

The village chief said in surprise: "That piece of open land is nearly five acres. According to the current price, one acre costs three taels of silver. It would cost at least fourteen taels to buy that piece of land!"

Elder. Xu remarked: "Don't worry, Village Chief, I have enough silver, I wonder when we can transfer the ownership?"

The village chief said: "Brother, if you are sure you want to buy it, I will go to the town in the afternoon and I can get it done right away!"

"That's fine, I wonder if the village chief can help me ask which strong laborers in the village have nothing to do, I'd like to ask the villagers to help my family build a new house for twenty Wen a day, and managed a lunch."

The village chief was surprised and said: "The wages are so high? A short-time laborer in town only earns 15 Wen a day, and doesn't even care about food."

Elder. Xu said: "We are all from the same village. If anything happens to my family, everyone will help. Now if there is any good thing, I can't treat the villagers badly." He said and took out fifteen taels of silver from his pocket and handed it to the village chief: "Village chief this is fifteen taels of silver, the rest will need to be taken care of at the Yamen, so I'll trouble the village chief to make a trip."

The village chief nodded and agreed. After everything was over, Elder. Xu took his granddaughter and left.

"My dear, I think this old Xu family is very prosperous. He took out fifteen taels of silver as soon as I asked. Not everyone can afford fifteen taels, and these pastries are not cheap either!" The village chief's wife said with emotion.

"Well, no matter how the old Xu family got rich, they always think of the villagers when good things happen to them, which means that the old Xu family are all kind-hearted. I will make a trip to the Yamen, this pastry is left for Shitou to come back from school to eat it!" He said, tucked in his silver and went out.

After Qibao returned home, she went to the backyard to pour some spirit spring water on the vegetables in the yard, and went back to the kitchen to fill up the big water tank in the house with spirit spring water, and took some fruits and put them on the table in the hall, so that anyone who wanted to eat it could take it to eat.

The mother-in-law and daughters-in-law all got together to make clothes. The children's clothes were almost finished, so Mrs. Wang called some of her grandchildren to try out the new clothes to see if they fit. When the boys heard that there were new clothes to wear, they were all excited. They rushed in, all with excited faces. When the mother-in-law and daughters-in-law were helping the babies put on their clothes, Xiaowu said with an air of enthusiasm: "Great, I don't have to wear the remaining clothes that the fourth brother wore!"

Xiaolou said in all sorts of weird postures: "I love the new clothes so much, I think I look the best in them." He was so arrogant. Wearing a baby blue outfit on Xiaoliu, he looked just like a little man.

The Xu family aren't ugly, and the children they have certainly won't be ugly either, and now that these new clothes are on their bodies, they all feel even more divine and extraordinary.

Embroidered a red plum on the corner of the skirt, making her look even cuter. Standing next to the twin Xiaoliu, they looked more like a pair of golden boys and girls, making them even more attractive.

The boys changed into new clothes that fit them well. Xu Wenwu folded all the clothes of himself and his brothers carefully, and each put the clothes in the closet, waiting to wear them to school tomorrow.

When the village chief came back from the town in the evening, he didn't even enter his own house. He went directly to Old Xu's house, handed the documents into the hands of Elder. Xu, and hurriedly summoned the villagers to gather under the big tree at the entrance of the village...