Brownies

Sophie's POV

"What happened?" I heard Scott ask as I was tucked away in my bed, pretending to sleep.

"She had a nightmare, I guess. It's been a while since her last one. Almost two months." my mother answered as my door opened. She came into my room, probably checking on me. "Poor thing. Well, Scott, are you staying the night?"

"Wait, you're ok with me staying here?"

"You calmed her down almost instantly. It normally takes us a couple of hours. And sometimes she has multiple dreams so she needs you right now."

I heard her go back downstairs, along with the voice of Melissa. Apparently I had woken her up too.

I felt the bed sink down, a hand reaching out to rub my arm gently. He let out a long exhale, sliding down onto the floor near my head.

"You scared the crap out of me." he muttered, running his hand through his hair.

"Sorry."

He jumped, twisting around to look at me. He smiled crookedly, obviously forced. "Hey. How are you doing?"

"Do you think I'm crazy now?"

"What? No, everyone has nightmares."

"But not everyone hallucinates."

"It was just shock. You're not crazy." He moved back up to the bed, sitting next to me and taking my hand in his.

"Did they tell you? About the dreams?"

"All they would say is that you've been having them for a while."

"I was two the first time I had one. I remember screaming and waking up in complete darkness. And I remember when my mother picked me up, all I could feel were claws. I tried to get away from her but she wouldn't let go. It took me almost ten minutes to realize it was just her but for some reason, I kept fighting."

He ran his finger along the back of my hand, nodding me on as he wrapped one of his arms around my waist.

"That was the first dream. They happened every single night until I was five. Then they went away for a while. And one night, when my parents were out for work, they came back. And they would only come back when my parents were gone. It's as if the dreams want me to be alone."

"Tell me what happened. What's got you so scared?"

"I..." I trailed off, looking up to meet his worried brown eyes.

"I won't think you're crazy."

I sighed before getting myself comfortable against his warm chest. "It's something different each time but it still has the same concept. There's this person, I don't know who it is or what they look like. All I know is that they have bright purple eyes."

"Purple?"

"Mm-hmm. They're always the last thing I see before they kill me. No matter what. I can run and hide but they still find me."   

"They're just dreams. That won't happen. I won't let it."

"You can't protect me from them. No one can."

Scott's POV

I felt a pang of hurt as she looked up at me with red-rimmed tired eyes, tears staining her cheeks. All I wanted to do was see her smile again.

"I'm going to do everything I can to protect you. Ok?"

"I don't want to need to be protected. I hate this feeling. In my dream, my first thought was to run for help. Do you know how weak that made me feel?"