Deep Breath

Laila's POV

"So, how was the game last night?" Mary asked as she walked into my room as I was getting ready for school.

"It was really good. We won."

"Maybe I'll come to the next game."

"Mary, what's for breakfast?" Luke mumbled as he wobbled into the room, rubbing his eyes.

"Let's go find something, buddy." She held out her arms for him, picking him up as I grabbed Isaac's jacket off my bed.

I slipped my arms through the sleeves, turning to see how it looked. I modeled it in the mirror before shrugging it off and stuffing it in my bag.

I waited for Lydia to pick me up, picking at Luke's breakfast until I heard her car. I kissed Luke's cheek, then Mary's, calling a goodbye as I ran out the door.

"What happened with you and Isaac last night?" Lydia questioned as I got into her car, not even giving me time to fully sit down.

"What?"

"I saw you two leave together. Did he ask you out?"

"No. He walked me to my car."

"That's it? No goodnight kiss? No admission of a not so secret crush?"

I shrugged, placing my bag down, the sleeve of Isaac's jacket sticking out.

"What's that?" She reached down and grabbed it before I could, pulling the jacket out. "I've never seen this before."

"It's new."

"Why would you buy a man's jacket?" she pointed out, a smile turning her lips upward.

"I-"

"Isaac gave you his jacket, didn't he?"

"He left it at my house." I grabbed it, putting it back into my bag. "We're going to be late to school."

She let out a laugh before putting the car in reverse, silently agreeing to change the subject. She drove us to school, chatting about her and Jackson's recent argument.

She pulled up in front of the school, pulling down her mirror to fix her makeup. I got out, standing by the car as I waited for her. I absentmindedly strolled along the sidewalk, not paying attention to where I was going as a motorcycle drove up. I jumped back as it nearly hit me, the driver quickly stopping at the bike rack.

He turned the bike off, taking off his helmet and looking back at me. It was one of the twins, although I couldn't tell which one. "You ok?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

"Neither was I."

"Laila! Are you coming?" Lydia called, standing by the stairs.

"I should go. Sorry again." I raised my hand in a wave before starting to walk over to Lydia.

"Wait. Let me walk you to your locker." He quickly jogged up to me, shooting me a quick smile.

"You don't have to."

"No, I want to." He pressed his hand to my back as we walked, Lydia sending me a confused look before joining us.

"I'm Lydia." she introduced, smiling up at him.

"I'm Aiden."

"Nice to meet you."

"You too."

I stopped at my locker, turning to him. "Thank you for walking with me."

"Any time. Before I go, what are you doing after school?"