Heartbeat

Stiles's POV

"Where'd they go?" Sophie asked, her hair falling into her face as she looked around.

"I don't know. They just left." Derek shook his head in confusion, stepping away from the door.

From beside me, Lydia tensed up, her eyes widening.

"Laila!" she screamed, the volume making all of us clamp our hands over our ears.

There were notes of panic and pain in her scream, making the rest of us look over at each other in worry. She ran out of the room as quickly as she could, ignoring Derek and Sophie's warnings.

Isaac's POV

"It's going to be ok, you're ok." I reassured, holding a bleeding Laila in my arms as she struggled to breathe.

"Isaac." she whispered, tears filling her eyes as my hand pressed over her wound.

"Shh, you're not dying."

"I am."

I paused at the calmness in her voice, looking up to meet her light brown gaze. "No."

"It's ok." Her voice broke as I heard Lydia run over to kneel next to us.

"Laila. Call an ambulance. Why isn't anyone calling the police?" Lydia snapped, obviously more panicked than her best friend.

Laila gasped as I heard her heart stutter, obviously struggling to stay alive. I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I realized this was the last time I'd hold her.

I leaned down to press my lips to hers, trying to be as gentle as I could. She smiled against my lips, a small smile.

I let my gaze move down to the blood on her shirt, my hand shaking as it tried to keep applying pressure to the wound.

I felt her hand wipe away the tear that had escaped as my arm tightened around her.

"Don't. Please?" I tried, knowing the plea wouldn't help but still trying anyway.

"It's ok." she repeated, her voice barely able to speak above a whisper.

"Laila, you're not dying on me." Lydia refused, grabbing her free hand.

"You'll be fine. You'll both be fine."

Lydia let out a sob as I bit back my own tears. I lifted my head up as I heard her heart stuttering again, this time not recovering.

I could only watch as her breathing picked up, gasping for air. Her eyes fluttered shut, her heart slowing down until it stopped. I felt mine shatter as I gave into the sobs, letting myself lean forward to bury my face in her neck.

I felt her hand slump down to hit mine, still resting on the wound.

Sophie's POV

I felt Scott's hand grab mine, interlocking our fingers together as we watched Isaac and Lydia grieve over their lost friend.

I turned to hide my face in his shoulder, tears gathering in my eyes. I hadn't gotten extremely close to Laila, nowhere near as close as Isaac and Lydia had been but from what I knew about her, she didn't deserve this.

I felt Scott's lips press into the side of my head as I felt a new gratitude for being able to have him hold me.

I frowned as I heard both Lydia's and Isaac's sobs, clinging tighter to Scott's shirt. Over his shoulder, I saw Stiles reach out to wrap his arm around Erica's waist, looking down at the floor.

I sighed into Scott's shoulder before feeling him tense up. I was about to lean back to see what had disturbed him when I felt something pierce through my back, a similiar pain to when I'd nearly been shot earlier.

"Soph?"

I gasped at the pain, knowing this time the arrow hadn't simply grazed the skin. I felt my knees buckle, being caught by Scott as he gently lowered us to the ground.

I saw Stiles look over, his eyes wide as he took a step towards me. I looked at the assassins stood by the windows, one of them lowering his crossbow back down.

Scott's POV

"Scott." she tried, her breath catching. 

"I'm sorry. I heard one of them move and I heard it shoot but I didn't know-"

"Shh, it's ok."

She gasped for a breath, my hand pressing further down on top of hers, which rested on the wound.

"Scott, you have to tell my parents. Tell them that I-I love them and that I'm sorry."

I bit back a sob, my fingers gripping her wrist tighter. "I will."

She nodded her head, struggling to get another breathe in. "I love you. So much. You made it all worth it."

"I love you. Please don't leave me."

"It's ok."

"Soph."

She whimpered, her eyes moving down to the wound. I went to get a better grip on her hand, about to attempt to take some of the pain away.

"No. Don't. I'm fine." she tried, even as blood began to fill her mouth.

I had to smile at her bravery, letting my hands intstead grab her fingers. "I'll always love you."

"You made me happy, Scott. You gave me a strangely normal life in the middle of all of this. That's all I ever wanted and you gave it to me. So, thank you."

I heard her heart slowing down, letting my head hang low.

"I love you." she said again, a small smile appearing on her face.

She struggled to get another breathe in, unable to. Her heartbeat froze as her eyes shut. Her hand fell limp underneath mine, the one that had been resting on my back dropping to the floor with a soft thud.

Author's Note:

For everyone that's worried, don't worry, I've got a plan. What do you think will happen next?

I'll see you in my next chapter. BYEEE!!!