seventy nine

Avery

"Alright get to the bus, we need to go!" Coach yelled, I grabbed my cleats and soccer bag before heading out the door.

We all got on the bus, the girls were already spread out in different seats, Khadi wasn't in any of the seats. I furrowed my eyebrows "head count, everyone sit!" Coach Kelly yelled. I sat with Archie.

"Where's my captain? Where's White?" She asked, we all looked or the windows as she ran toward the bus with her stuff before getting on the bus.

"Sorry coach I left my things in Mrs.White's room!" She said, lying, before sitting in one of the middle seats.

I texted her phone

Are you okay? That was your lying tone

My Love💜: I don't feel good

Is it that time of the month?

My Love💜: yes, my mom drugged me so I should be okay for the game

Are you sure?

My Love💜: yes very much Avery

Okay just checking on you

My Love💜: thank you :)

Sit with me on the way back?

My Love💜: yessir

I smiled before locking my phone.

We finally pulled up at San Jose High School and got off the bus. The girls had to rush to the field because we arrived late "can you hold my stuff while I play?" Khadi asked.

"Anything for you love," I answered, she handed me her Nike bag before kissing my cheek and running to the field. I sat in the bleachers with the rest of our team to watch the girls play.

Khadi's phone started to ring in her bag, I unzipped the front pocket before pulling it out. Myra was requesting to FaceTime her, I answered.

Yes Myra

Myra: hey Avery, where's my sister?

I flipped the camera to show her that they were warming up for the game.

Myra: okay well tell her to call me after the game

Okay

She hung up, her home screen displayed on the screen, a photo of us on the beach with apps covering us. I clicked on her messages icon, accidentally opening a long conversation between her and Cole.

I instantly closed it and locked her phone before putting it in my pocket. I trust her. I focused my attention to her as she dribbled the ball and scored a goal.

Everyone went wild in the bleachers. Coach pulled them out for a timeout, she signaled drink to me, I grabbed her Gatorade before running down to the front of the bleachers to give it to her.

"I don't feel good," she whispered to me "Khadi you need to take it easy and sit on the bench for a while," I told her. She shook her head before walking back to the huddle. I sighed as I walked back to my spot on the bleachers.

I bit my nails as I watched her run up and down the field. She shot the ball before falling to the ground. I sprinted down to the field, jumped the gate, and ran to her. The coaches swarmed her "get back Hansen!" Coach yelled.

"She's dehydrated," the on site nurse said. Khadi laid in the grass breathing hard as someone brought her water. "When was the last time you ate?" The woman asked her "I don't know...last night," Khadi answered "Khadi it's 5pm!" I scolded.

Kalin came running onto the field "what happened?" He asked worriedly. "She's dehydrated, she needs food and water quickly," The nurse told him "okay I'll take her with me, we'll take her to get some food," he said.

"I wanna go too," I said "Hansen you can't leave, you need to play," Coach told me. "I'm sorry, I need to leave with her," I told him "I'm sorry Avery but you can't play next week if you leave," he said. "Well I'm sorry coach I guess I won't be playing next week, she's more important than some soccer game," I told him.

Kalin gave me the look. I gently picked her up and held onto her "I'll get her things from the bleachers," Kalin said, running ahead of me. She closed her eyes as I held her.

I slowly slid into the backseat with her in my arms, Kalin closed the door and ran around the car to get in the driver's seat. "You didn't have to do that," he said as he drove "I did, I feel guilty. She had already told me she didn't feel good yet I let her go out there anyway," I admitted.

"She wouldn't have listened anyway, we both know that, you're a good boy Avery" he said "she says that Alana gave her meds for her pain," I told him. "And she took them on an empty stomach, Alana probably didn't ask her when she'd last eaten," he explained.

We stopped at Smoothie King and got her a meal replacement shake. Khadi has a weak stomach and when she's sick she can't keep solids down well. "Baby wake up! We got you a smoothie," I said as I lightly shook her.

She groaned before opening her eyes. She sat up and slurped the straw quickly, finishing the drink in 4 minutes. "Khadi Marie White why would you take pills on an empty stomach?!" Kalin scolded "I...I don't know dad I just wanted the pain to go away," she said.

"Did mom ask the last time you ate?" He asked "yes and I lied so she would give them to me and let me play," she admitted. "No game next week young lady," he said sternly "but dad!" She whined "but nothing Khadi this could've been much worse!" He said.

She rolled her eyes before sitting back in her seat. We finally made it back to her house, Kalin went in before us. "Khadi what is wrong with you?! You can't do this type of stuff, you could've seriously been hurt," I yelled.

"I know Avery, I'm sorry," she said softly, I raised my eyebrow "you're sorry...? This quick?" I asked suspiciously. She nodded "yes, I don't want you to keep yelling at me," she answered.

I rolled my eyes and sighed "okayyy let's go in," I said,