one hundred twenty two

Ryder's house

"Hi I'm Rydel," a teenage, blonde girl with green eyes said as she opened the door to welcome us. "Please come in!" She said with a bright smile as she opened the door wider.

Ryder came down the stairs "welcome! I see you guys have met my daughter Rydel! I'm Ryder," he said, shaking Kian and Kylie's hands.

"This is my daughter Kylie, my son Kian, our daughter Kira, and you already know my husband Avery" I introduced.

"Well hello, come on in Rydel here has made everyone dinner," Ryder said, beginning to walk away from us, we followed him into the dining room.

"You made this all yourself?" Kian asked as we were welcomed with a long table filled with food. "Yea, me and my mom used to cook a lot so I know how to throw together a few dishes," she said, pulling a chair back for him.

We all sat down and began to eat the delicious food "so what do you kids do for fun?" Ryder asked. "I'm a soccer player and a drum major," Kian answered "really?? I also play soccer and I'm a drum majorette," Rydel told him.

He gasped "I'm in love," Kian said in ah, everyone laughed. "Well I'm a cheerleader and I run track," Kylie added in "ahh yes, Kylie Hansen, I heard you broke the district record for the 200, nice," Ryder said, high fiving her.

"what about you Kira?" He asked, everyone turned to her "well I'm more into theater and singing," she answered. "That's cool! I've always wanted Rydel to try theater but she doesn't have the time on her schedule," he told her, she nodded.

"Okay but back to Rydel, how long have you been a majorette?" Kian asked her "2 years," she answered him. "You've got me beat, I've only been a major for a year. We should get together and jam sometime," he suggested.

"We definitely will considering I'm transferring to your high school this year," she told him. "Really? What school did you go to before?" I asked, interested. "A private school but I didn't really like it so I asked my dad if I could transfer. Burbank has a better fine arts and band program," she answered.

"That's great Rydel, you're rockin it," I told her, she smiled. "I'm gonna go grab dessert, I made apple pie for everyone!" She said, prancing to the kitchen.

"Wow she is amazing!" I told Ryder "thank you! She makes sure I eat a three course dinner every night," he joked, I chuckled. "So Avery what kind of work do you do?" He asked "I'm the chief of police at Burbank PD," Avery answered.

"Cool!" Ryder simply countered, I laughed internally, I wouldn't know what to say either. Rydel came back into the dining room with a neatly sliced pie before carefully dropping a slice on everyone's plate.

We all dug in "wow this is amazing!" Kylie told her, mouthful of pie. "Thank you! It's a Burke family recipe made by Great grandma Etta," she answered. Wow this child is actually perfect.

Once dinner was finished I offered to wash the dishes as everyone watched tv in the living room. Ryder joined me "I'll rinse," he said, rolling up his sleeve.

"Wow even at home you're wearing a button up and slacks," I joked, he chuckled "I just came from a meeting and I didn't have time to change," he answered.

"Who would've known my partner would be wishing my dishes," he said as I handed him a clean plate, I chuckled.

"Rydel is great," I told him "yea she's a good kid, I'm glad she's cooking again, this was her first time since Theresa died. She had such a hard time," he told me.

I frowned at the thought of his daughter. Avery came into the kitchen as I scrubbed the last dish "you ready to go?" He asked "um sure one second," I said as I dried my hands.

"Thank you for having us," I said as we walked toward the door "Of course! Come back anytime!" Ryder said as we left.

The car ride home was silent, I just knew Avery was angry about something.

Once we got into the house, he grabbed my arm and walked me to our master before closing the door. "It's Ryder isn't it? You want to be with him again," he accused "no, why would you suggest that?" I asked.

"You've been acting distant lately and when I saw you two together you seemed close," he answered. I rolled my eyes "just because I don't jump right back into your arms after you cheated on me doesn't mean anything," I explained.

He sighed "whatever I don't want to talk about it anymore," he said, going into the bathroom.