Heroes and Villains Part 1

Lacey trotted behind Dean, trying to keep up with him as she stifled a yawn. They had gotten a call in the middle of the night saying Sam had been in a car crash. When they arrived at the hospital the receptionist had told them they needed to speak to a Dr Kadinsky. Dean barged through the door and came face to face with a startled nurse.

"Okay, sir? You can't just barge in here without an appointment!"

"They said, "Talk to Kadinsky." You Kadinsky?" Dean asked, gruffly.

"You need to be scheduled!"

"Well, then, schedule me! He was in a car crash. Why the hell can't I see him?" Dean was pretty worked up by this point.

"You're Sam Smith's brother." An older man with grey hair came out of one of the offices.

"Yeah, what's going on?"

"It – it's fine. Thank you. Really." The Doctor told the nurse, leading them into the office and indicating they should take a seat. "And you are?" He asked, looking over the top of his glasses at Lacey.
"She's my girlfriend. She's family." Dean told him. The Doctor nodded.

"Sam was admitted. He was treated for a broken rib and lacerations."

"Okay. That's not too bad. And?" Dean dismissed.

"And... he's on our locked psychiatric floor." Lacey blinked and Dean stared back in surprise.

"I mean, he's had some trouble..." Dean started.

"So you're aware that Sam is experiencing a full-blown psychotic episode?" The Doctor asked.

"Psychotic? Come on. I mean, the guy's... It's not like the guy's freakin' Norman Bates." Dean scoffed.

"No, I'm sure he isn't. We need to determine whether his state was brought on by the insomnia or whether the insomnia is a symptom of his condition. Do you understand? So that we can figure out how to treat him."

"Well, all I can say is that the sleep thing is... kind of new."

"Right. Well... we've pumped him about as full of sedatives as we safely can. So far, he won't go under. I've never seen anything like it." He got to his feet and the two of them followed him out into the corridor and down the hall to the ward. The Doctor pressed a button to let them in and led them to the room where they were keeping Sam. Dean and Lacey looked through the small window in the door and were shocked by Sam's appearance. He looked pale and drawn, his hair, dull and lank, falling across his face, almost hiding his bloodshot eyes. The Doctor opened the door and they stepped inside.

"How are you feeling?" Dean asked as the two of them came to stand beside the bed.

"Maybe you should cancel my UFC fight." Sam joked, although the laughter seemed to pain him.

"Sam, I'm gonna find you help." Dean told him gently.

"I don't think it's out there, Dean." Sam sounded defeated.

"We don't know that."

"We know better than most. It's all snake oil. Last faith healer we hooked up with had a reaper on a leash. Remember?" Dean clenched his fists.

"Yeah, Sam, I remember."

"I'm just saying..."

"What? That you don't want my help?" Dean snapped.

"No, I'm just saying... don't do this to yourself."

"Sam, if I don't find something..."

"Then I'll die." Sam admitted. "Dean, we knew this was coming."