twenty one

𝘾𝙡𝙪𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙨

Zoia woke up to the sound of a small birthday trumpet and a confetti all over her hair and face. She fluttered her eyes open to see Monica, Ginny, Anthony, Hannah and Susan singing happy birthday to her.

"You're seventeen!" Monica beamed.

"I know, I know," Zoia chuckled and rubbed her eyes. "Oh my God, ice cream cake!"

Zoia then spent her birthday eating ice cream for breakfast with the people she loves the most. Afterwards she opened her presents. Everyone got her an amazing present and she's beyond grateful for everything, even Ginny brought Hermione and Ron's presents for her. However she couldn't help but notice Harry didn't get her anything. She felt a weight in her chest, she doesn't even know why it hurts her this much. It seems like Monica noticed this and gave her a sympathetic smile.

The rest of the day was okay. She hoped that Harry would approach her and at least wish her a happy birthday. She would see him from afar and he wouldn't even take a second glance at her. She even noticed Harry has been talking to a blonde Gryffindor a year below her lately, Allison Raymond.

She would see her laughing at his jokes and just the way he looked at her took everything in her to just not cry on the spot. This is what she wanted right? for him to shove off?

On top of that, this is Anthony's last day of N.E.W.T.s. exam, which means after this day, he's completely done with Hogwarts. They have been avoiding the talk for weeks now but she knows it's coming soon.

For the first time in a while, she felt completely alone on her birthday. This is by far, the worst birthday she's ever experienced and this is her come of age birthday. She wanted nothing more than to just go home and isolate herself from everyone.

Everyone's busy with their significant others, Anthony's busy celebrating with the rest of the seventh year and here she is, sitting underneath a tree, alone, near the black lake, almost curfew, spending her last hours of her birthday alone, looking at the black lake at night.

It's a truly beautiful sight yet lonely. Peaceful but silent.

She heard distant giggles and when she turned her head around, she could see Harry and Allison walking to the castle. It seems like Harry saw her because he then approached her.

Zoia looked away completely and stared at the black lake.

"Hey," he greeted her. "Can I sit here?"

"Er- sure," she said.

"Happy birthday," he finally said. He crossed his arms and rested it on his knees. "I've been trying to find you alone so I can give you my gift, but you're with people for the whole day."

"Trust me, I am alone," she sighed, which made him raise his eyebrows.

"Well, here it is," he handed her a small present from his pocket.

"Thanks," she smiled gratefully at him before she looked down to her present. She wasted no time ripping the wrapping.

It's a small box. When she opened it, there were earrings. He got her beautiful pearl earrings. By the look of it, it's on the expensive side.

"Harry, this is too much. Are you sure this isn't for your mum?" she looked up to him.

"No," he chuckled. "I ordered it during Christmas, it just came this morning, mum sent it to me."

"Thank you so much, Harry!" she beamed and wrapped him in a tight hug.

He chuckled and wasted no time to hug her back.