sudden tragedy

The wind blew her soft brunette hair back as she stared at the beautiful sunset of Bora Bora. Zoia took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of saltwater as the sun penetrated her skin.

She looked to her side to see Harry. The two smiled at each other and slowly leaned into one another. So close, so close, she thought because just before she could meet his lips, she felt her body being shaken as someone called her.

"Mum, mum," Acacia shook her body as she sniffled.

"What's wrong, honey?" Zoia mumbled.

"Mummy," choked sobs could be heard from the young girl.

Zoia immediately opened her eyes and sat up.

"Hey hey, what's wrong baby?" Zoia wiped Acacia's tears with her thumbs.

"I — I think, Tyke is d-dead," Acacia flung herself to Zoia and sobbed to her mother's chest.

"Are you sure?" Zoia hugged her daughter back and brushed through her hair, trying to stay calm as possible.

"He was sleeping with me. I woke u-up to pee and when I got back, I p-petted him b-but I noticed he wasn't b-breathing and then I shook his body, mum, but he s-stayed still. He wouldn't wake up," Acacia sobbed even harder.

"Shh, it's okay honey," Zoia kissed Acacia's head and immediately wiped a tear that managed to escape her own eyes.

"T-Tyke is d-dead mum," Acacia cried out.

"Are you sure, Acacia? Maybe he's just in a very deep sleep," said Zoia.

"I tried to pick him up b-but his body was s-stiff," Acacia sniffled.

Zoia's heart breaks that her daughter has to see her best friend that way. She kissed her daughter's head as Acacia hugged her mum tighter.

"I am so sorry, honey," Zoia kept kissing her daughter.

"I have to tell Phoenix, Tyke was his b-best friend too, mum," Acacia looked up to see her mum.

"But let's wake your father first okay?" Zoia suggested.

Acacia nodded at her mum.

Still hugging her daughter with her left arm, Zoia used her right hand to shake Harry's body.

"Har, wake up," said Zoia.

"M' tired," Harry mumbled.

"Harry, please wake up-"

"Tyke is dead, dad," said Acacia all of the sudden.

Harry immediately opened his eyes and looked at the girls in disbelief.

"What?"

"Tyke is d-dead," Acacia began to cry again.

"What?" Harry finally sat up.

"Please don't make our daughter repeat that," Zoia glared at Harry. "Can you please go to Acacia's room, Tyke is there."

"Oh — oh okay," Harry nodded.

"We'll be in Phoenix's room," Zoia pecked Harry's cheek before standing up from the bed.

"Mum, please carry me," Acacia raised her arms.

"Acacia, you're eleven already," Zoia replied.

"Please mum. . ."

"Oh alright, fine," Zoia picked her daughter up. Acacia immediately wrapped her legs around Zoia's waist and arms around Zoia's neck while resting her cheek on Zoia's shoulder.