Purpose

"Let's talk first, Virion." Lance Varay summoned an ice sword in her hand.

I tilted my head at her. "You want to talk at this very moment?" I asked her confused, we were supposed to spar in front of everyone, this didn't feel like an appropriate time. It was Lance Varay though, I don't mind talking to her.

"Yes." She responded. "Virion, what is your goal in life? What is it you want to achieve with the powers you possess." That's what she wanted to know? Really? I feel like everyone wants to know this nowadays. It's like they're afraid that I'll turn on everyone one day.

"My goal in life?" Did someone ask her to do this.

"Yes." The look on her face was still unchanging, emotionless and calm. "What is your goal?"

I shrugged. "To protect my family, that's always been my goal." I had a talk with Elder Virion about this, why was I being questioned again about it. I can't imagine they asked her to do this. I turned to the other Lances watching, they were just staring at us. "That's always been my goal."

"No." She said and let her guard down. Lance Varay was always serious, but right now it felt different. She never showed interest in me, just that I was interesting because I was a Blood Deviant.

"No?" I said with a confused tone, wondering why I got a no for answering her question. My goal was to protect my family, why is she saying no to that.

"That's not a goal, that's a purpose, you get strong to protect your loved ones." She paused for a second then went on. "Your goal was to get strong, so that you could protect your loved ones." I still didn't see where this was going. "But that can't be your main goal, you have immense powers, what do you want to do with them? You can't always focus on protecting your family, Virion, they might be what drives you forward, but what else do you want to achieve with your power?"

I scratched my head. "Isn't my answer sufficient enough for you, my goal was to get strong, so I could protect my family, that's all you need to know." This conversation was a little confusing, was she trying to figure something out.

"It is, but what else." She insisted, and I activated "Blood Oath."

"Lance Varay, I don't know what you are going on about, but I've told you my goal, please accept it." My voice was laced with annoyance. "Let's just spar, you have my utmost respect, but this isn't something you should care about."

"You're wrong." Lance Varay lifted her sword, and pointed it at me. "I need to know, what other goal do you have in mind?" I closed my eyes and stared up at the Sea Serpent inside of my mind.

"Can you give me an example on what you mean?" I pointed my sword at her and set my body ablaze with blue fire.

"I can't, this needs to come from you, and you alone." Frost started to emit from her, and I had to say, she was beautiful, too bad she was way older than me.

"I'm over this." I started to reinforce my body with mana, and coalesced mana behind my body. "I don't know what this is all about, but I'm starting." I launched myself at her, swinging my sword at her head.

Her ice sword blocked my attack, and she raised an ice sword out of the ground at my chest. I spun, grabbed the ice sword out of the ground, and swung it at her. Lance Varay shattered the ice, and I brought an ice sword out of the ground behind her and in front of her.

She shot up off the ground and floated in the sky above me. I bit my lip as a laugh almost slipped out of my mouth, thinking about the men I killed, and imagining killing a Lance. I could kill a Lance, Lance Olfred.

Lance Varay conjured multiple ice swords around her, like a fortress aimed at me. I stood down on the ground, looking up at her, without any emotion on my face. I was trying to hide it, not wanting to smile or laugh now.