Children

Ellie Leywin

"Dad, is Veer and Art, going to be, okay?" I asked my father as we sat in his room, I just came in after I finished training with my bow. Currently, my mom and some medic were sitting out on the balcony, talking about Veer's recovery, which I didn't want to hear. It worried me for some reason, hearing how my twin brother broke his bones, and needed time to heal back up.

"Yes, El." My father assured me. "They are going to be fine." I didn't know if that was true or not, in the time that they have been back, Arthur has spent most of his time in his room doing something I didn't know, and Veer has been up and about trying to heal back up. "You know your brothers; they will do anything to make sure that we are safe."

"Yeah, I guess that's true." I could sense that my bond, Boo, was in the hallway, mad that he couldn't come into the room with me. For some reason, my father didn't like it when he did, so he has been band from entering this room. "They can't win this war alone though; you know that right?"

"Of course, I do, no one can win a war alone." At the moment, I didn't know if my father's words were true, Arthur and Veer seem to be carrying us on their shoulders, trying to take these Alacryans down all by themselves, which was amazing, but at the same time scary. "Your brothers just want to do what they can to make sure we win this war; they aren't fighting them alone."

"Do they know that? I'm not trying to be rude, but to me, it seems like you have been pretty distant from Arthur." I already spoke to him about this, but I want to make sure he knows, that no matter what Arthur did, he is still my brother, and their son.

"No, we haven't." I sighed from the couch as he said this, because I knew it was false, mom and him have been slightly distant from him ever since he came back, but with Veer, they adore him, they make sure he is okay all the time, just like me, which shows that they care for us, more than Arthur. "We just know that Arthur can handle himself, so your mother and I make sure Veer and you are okay."

"Why Veer? He's fighting in the war; he can handle himself don't you think?" I asked, knowing that Veer might have surpassed Arthur in strength, even if he was injured worse than him. "He's taken down a Retainer, the only one they have seen, I think Veer scares the other continent's leaders."

"I can't answer for the other continent's leaders, however, I can say, Veer can handle himself when it comes to being in a battle, but when it comes to other things, you know your younger brother, he is nowhere in the maturity range Arthur was at his age." He may be right about that, but just because Arthur is more mature, doesn't mean they should distance themselves from him.

"I guess you are right, would you say I am more mature than Veer?"

"Umm, yeah, you know when you shouldn't say something, Veer, on the other hand has no self control, and will say anything that is on his mind." We both started to smile, thinking about the crazy things he has said when we were all together. "But that's why we love him, he is unpredictable."

"Yeah, that's true." Veer did have no self control when it came to speaking.

"Let's head back out on to the balcony." My father said, getting up from his seat on the couch in his room. "Veer is probably back, and we should spend some time together."

"Okay." I stood up, and the two of us made our way out of the room. "Boo, come on." I spoke to the bear who was leaning against the wall, examining the door until I came out. He made some grunting noises, and then quickly joined us as we made our way back to the balcony.

"Hey!" Someone screamed from behind us, my father, Boo, and I turned to the approaching figure. "You heading back out to the balcony?"

"Yes, we thought you would be there." I told Veer as he stopped in front of us now.