Speech Pt. III

"I know why we are here." I sent him a smile. "Aldir, you aren't really hiding in the shadows in the middle of the room drinking tea." I told him as I walked back to where the other Lances were standing.

"You'll find out soon enough." Aldir told Arthur, and he came back over to me.

"He doesn't know?" Aya spun and winked at Arthur. "How cute, he's so innocent."

"Haha." I laughed at her.

"What aren't you telling me?" He asked us, I shrugged and Aya faced forward.

The cheers were dying down, Elder Virion began to speak. "You all have come a long way to be here, it makes me glad." He waved his arms to the royal families. "These are the people who have been protecting the continent from danger, and the ones who will continue to do just that." The royal families all waved, causing another explosion of cheers.

As I stared at them, Rahdeas was the only one I could stay focused on. It would be quick and easy, right here, I could slide a dagger into the back of his throat. I shook my head; I couldn't kill him in front of the people.

"Now, they may be the people who represent us, and are the figures we know and love." Elder Virion was speaking way different than he usually did, it was cool to see him like this. "But they are not the ones working in the shadows, no, those are different figures we all know and love." He waved one of his arms towards us. "Please, I'd like to introduce, the Lances of Dicathen!"

The three Lances in front of us made their way to the royal families, they turned and greeted each on. Arthur, Sylvie, and I stood there and waited, I knew I wasn't a Lance yet, so I didn't move.

The crowd exploded yet again, this time even louder, then a chant started to grow. The people were all chanting "Lances" at the top of their lungs, they truly did love them.

"Everyone!" Elder Virion spoke, causing the crowd to quiet down. "We are at war, only half of the Lances are here, but it should be obvious why." He paused for a second, then continued. "They are all off on missions and could not make it." Half of the Lances? Oh shit, do the people not know about Lance Alea being dead? I literally told so many people, that's why they were always shocked, shit.

I stood there, silently, waiting to be told what to do. Elder Virion kept on speaking. "Your Lances have already shed a lot of blood for you." Ehh, I feel like I did all the work. "In this time of need, we don't only need strong mages, we need to fight together, that is the only way we can make sure our home doesn't get taken over by these intruders."

I scratched my chin, and then turned to Arthur. "So, we sparring after this?"

"Veer, not now?" He scolded me, and I rolled my eyes and faced forward again.

"When we first brought out the Lances, which was around four years ago, we told you all that the title of a Lance was not limited to only nobles, but that anyone could earn it through hard work. Today, during this desperate time of need and sacrifice, two brothers have risen up, and proven to us that they deserved to be our newest Lances." I hit Arthur in the arm and smiled at him. "Please, everyone, let's welcome Arthur and Virion Leywin!"

Arthur and I walked out onto the balcony, Elder Virion was on the far end, so we had to walk through the royal families and Lances. They all turned to us as we approached them, the crowd was screaming so loud, I couldn't hear a thing besides them.

Varay and Bairon gave us both a head nod, Aya sent both of us a smile. Tessia glared at Arthur, but smiled at me as I walked past her. A small smile formed on Kathyln's face as we locked eyes, Curtis gave us a head nod, and Rahdeas and the Kings and Queens clapped their hands.