The Devil's Return

It took Darvus and I about forty minutes, and a couple of breaks to reach the outskirts of the base. I was drenched in blood, not all mine, but mostly. I was super lightheaded but needed to get back.

My phase two wasn't active anymore, but my phase one was, just in case we ran into any trouble. I was feeling the effects of keeping my Serpent's Will active for too long, it was getting harder and harder to move my body.

"We are almost there." I told Darvus as we stood out front the bases door. "Open up!" Darvus banged on the doors, and a peep hole opened up.

"Oh my god!" It quickly closed, and the doors began to open. "Lance Bairon!" The soldier called out, and I saw the Lance in the distance as the doors opened, come running out of a tent. His eyes went large when he saw me, and then they shifted to the body behind me, floating.

I nodded my head, telling him it's who he thinks. "Everyone, inside of their tents now, unless you are part of Virion's or Princess Tessia's team!" Bairon shouted, and then came flying over to the door. "Leave as well." He told the guard as he landed.

"Who is ---" The guard was looking at Uto, and Bairon waved him away.

"Lance Bairon, I'm assuming everything went according to plan, seeing how you are okay." I spoke first, the Lance was just staring at me. "What?"

"How'd you, do it?" He asked simply, and then Tessia, Stannard, Caria, Victoria, and Callias came running down to us. Lance Bairon quickly moved out of the way, and Tessia came running up to me.

"Veer!" I embraced her hug, as I saw Darvus lay Samantha's body on the ground. "You're okay!" She let go of me and held my cheeks. "Don't you ever knock me unconscious again, I could have helped you."

"Oh my god." Victoria said, as Tess turned and saw Samantha's body. "Samantha..."

"No." Callias ran his hand through his hair. "How?"

"A Retainer." Darvus said, and everyone went silent. "He almost killed me, but luckily, Virion healed me before I died."

"So, you truly did fight a Retainer?" Tess asked, as everyone turned to me.

I spun and pointed at Uto. "Meet Retainer Uto." I gave Lance Bairon a look. "We should all go back to the castle and get this man in a cell."

"Veer..." Tess grabbed my shoulder as she looked at him. "What did you do to him? His eyes are gone, his arm, his leg?"

I released my phase one and toppled over slightly. "He deserved it." I looked at Bairon. "Uto here, is the one who brutally murdered Lance Alea."

Lance Bairon's eyes widened again. "Are you sure?" I nodded. "Let's get him back."

"But that doesn't mean you should do the same to him." Tess wasn't happy with what I did to the Retainer. "Veer, that's awful."

"I'm with her, bro." Callias agreed with her. "But I am happy you are okay."

"Same." Caria placed a hand on my shoulder, let's get you back.

We all began to walk to the portal, and as we got about halfway, my legs gave out on me, from exhaustion. "Veer, are you okay." Tess asked me, as I sat there on my knees, looking up at her. "Come on, I got you." Tess bent down and swung my arm over her shoulders.

I felt my vision start to darken as I stood up, and then, just like that, I lost consciousness.

---

Callias Fleet

"Veer!" The Princess exclaimed as Virion's body went numb.

"He passed out, he'll be fine." Lance Bairon said as he started to walk away from the group. "Wait here, while I go and get Olfred."