Revise Oneself

Virion Leywin

I opened my eyes and looked around the room, there was only one person inside. "Ellie?" I sat up, my core feeling burned from using my ring too much.

"Veer, you're awake." She exclaimed, getting off the couch in the corner, and running over to my bedside. "Why do you keep on doing things like this?"

I rolled out of the bed, grabbed a shirt, and slid it on. "Yeah, yeah, I tried my best not to end up in here." I grabbed a pair of shorts and slid them on as well.

"You should stay in bed; you've been asleep for five hours now." Ellie came around the bed and stood in front of me. "Who did you fight?"

I placed my hand on her shoulder and pushed her to the side. "I can't say." Where was my cloak? "Ellie, where's my cloak, do you know where they put it?"

"On the couch, and you can tell me, I won't say anything, I'll find out sooner or later." I turned my head to the couch and saw my cloak laying there. I started to walk over to it. "Where's mom and dad?"

"Getting food, Veer, come on, tell me." Ellie insisted, I grabbed my cloak, and swung it on. "I promise, I won't say anything."

I thought back to the events that went on, Samantha and I traveling the tunnels, my fight with Uto, Avier showing up, Olfred showing his true colors.

I looked to the ground in sorrow, thinking about Samantha, and how she wanted me to be a better person, how she cared for me. I let her die.

Avier said the same thing, I was losing myself in the heat of the battles. I didn't have to go back to my old ways, but I needed to control myself while I was out there in the field.

I snapped my head too Ellie. "I took down a Retainer." I said simply, not caring if she knew.

No more enjoying the thrill of killing, no more laughing in battle, I couldn't do things like that in front of Arthur. If I did, he would yell at me for sure, there is no doubt in my mind. I couldn't become like Uto, everyone hates him.

"What?!" Ellie exclaimed loudly. "You fought a Retainer!" I also exposed Lance Olfred, which then exposed all of Darv, or most of it. I knew Bairon could do it, if I sent Aya, she would have killed him for giving me over and betraying Dicathen. "Veer!"

"Sorry, I zoned out, what did you say?" I sat down on the bed and began to slip my socks and shoes on.

"Did you truly take down a Retainer?" I nodded my head, not looking at her, but at my feet. "You should really stay in here for a little, Veer, I'm sure you're going to be in the council room for a while when you go." Ellie sat down on the other side of the bed behind me. "Mom and dad are going to want to talk to you."

I finished putting my shoes on and sat there. "I know, but that's not the only thing that went on."

"What else happened?" She asked nicely.

"I let Samantha die." I told her, and the mood in the room shifted. "Just before I fought the Retainer, I didn't sense him, and he killed Samantha right in front of me."

"It's not your fault." Ellie spoke calmly to me.

"I know it's not my fault, but I could have done more. Honestly, I should have forced her to leave with Callias, I didn't need her help. I could have hidden Darvus, and then fought the Retainer." I stood up as the doors to my room opened.

"Veer, what are you doing out of bed?!" My mother exclaimed, walking up to me with a fast pace, and then hugged me. "Are you in any pain?"

"No, mom." I embraced her hug and continued to hug her. In that moment, I felt safe, like nothing could touch me. "I'm sorry, I really didn't mean for any of this to happen." I actually did, I had zero faith in my abilities when I saw Uto approaching me.