Can't Stay Long

Izumi had been Fire Lord since her father had retired a few years before, recently he had to go on an important mission so he wasn't home. Izumi had allowed Sukara to stay after she told her that she knew her great uncle Iroh. She had been very kind, but she was also very busy so she couldn't always come to breakfast. Instead, Sukara was graced with Iroh II's company.

"So, my mother said you knew my grandfather's uncle," he said, breaking the ice.

"Yeah, I met him in the spirit world," she told him, she tried to keep eating to avoid more questions but the conversation had already started.

"Surely, that's impossible," he chuckled, "you don't look old enough, and could people even go to the spirit world back then?"

"Not exactly," Sukara laughed, "the whole thing is very complicated."

"If you say so," he smiled, not wanting to pressure his mother's guest too much, "what brings you to the Fire Nation anyway?"

"Did your mother not tell you?" she asked, but once he shook his head she answered him, "I'm looking for someone. Your great aunt. Azula."

"Oh? Really?" Iroh asked, looking a little confused, but then something seemed to click with him, "when I was eight, the last time Azula visited us, she told me about how she had helped her Uncle Iroh to find the spirit world. That must be how you know her."

"Yes, it is," Sukara said with a smile but it quickly turned into a frown, "what do you mean the last time? Why didn't she come back?"

"Um, I'm not sure," Iroh said, a little sadly, "her and my grandfather got into an argument. I don't know what about but, I didn't see her after that."

He looked down at his half finished breakfast. Sukara could see in his face that the topic was a sore one, after a moment he pushed the plate away from him.

"I knew she had trouble growing up," he said, frustrated, "but she was always so nice to me. Azula was the one who would notice when I would take myself off when I was upset, and she would come and sit with me. Azula would even teach me fire bending sometimes but I always felt like I couldn't ask about her. My family always got so tense when I would, so I stopped."

Sukara didn't know what to say to him. She was so glad to hear that Azula had reconnected with her family but she wasn't happy to hear that that connection might have ended.

"Iroh, I--" she started but he cut off.

"I don't know where she went," he said, looking up at her, "or even where she lived, and if my grandfather found out I was asking, I know he would forbid me from helping you. But, if you're going to look for her, it would be my honour to join you."

"Iroh," Sukara said, sympathetically, "what about your job? The United Forces?"

"I think they'll live if I take a vacation?" he smiled at her, hopeful that she would let him go.

"Then I would be happy to bring you along," Sukara said, smiling back at him, "but I think we should get going, if what you said about your grandfather is true, we don't want to be stopped or followed."

"Agreed," Iroh told her, "I'll let the army know that I'm going to be taking leave and then we'll get going as soon as possible."