The Wedding

Zhu Li and Varrik's wedding was beautiful. And it was great for Sukara to finally catch up with people. At that moment, she had taken a break from the dance floor to talk with Kai.

"What do you mean you're not staying?" he asked, a hurt look on his face, "Korra said it was fine now. No one is saying you can't."

"I know kid," Sukara chuckled, leaning on the table behind her, "but I have a town to take care of, and toddlers to teach earth bending. Who will teach the toddlers if I'm not there?"

"Literally anyone else," he begged, getting frustrated.

"It's not like you're here all the time anyway," Sukara said, trying to reason with him, "you're off all over the world. I can wait for you to visit Femaoh just as well as I can in Republic city. You know you're always welcome."

"Alright, you got me there," he said after a pause, "I just feel like you're gonna be so far away."

"Listen, I love you more than anything," she told him, giving a one armed hug as she spoke, "you're family now and I will never leave you. Even if I am a couple hundred miles away. I promise. Now go, give your girl a kiss while Tenzin isn't looking. Have some fun."

Kai laughed as she pushed him towards the dance floor where Jinora was.

"We really can't convince you," Asami said, making her way over to Sukara, "if it's accommodation you're worried about, I can fix you up with something."

"No, it's fine really, I got things to do," Sukara smiled, looking out at the party.

"It's surprising," Asami said, turning so that she was mirroring Sukara. She kept a close eye on her expression as she spoke again, "I thought you and Korra were getting pretty close."

"I suppose yeah, it doesn't--" Sukara started, but she had turned to see Asami's slightly worried and questioning expression, and she laughed, "no, no, not like that. Me and Korra are friends. I'd never do that to you."

"To me?" Asami asked, taken aback by the comment. Had she been too obvious? "Why me? I-- no-- I just.. Did Korra-- did she say something to you?"

"Oh, are you guys not?" Sukara asked, noting Asami's panicked rambling, "I'm sorry. I assumed, I just-- you know what? It's nothing. Forget I said anything."

"No, did she say something?" Asami asked again, hopeful that Sukara had noticed something she didn't or that Korra had confided in her, "did she do something? Do you think she--?"

"Likes you?" Sukara asked, a soft smile on her face as she watched Asami glance over at where Korra was standing, "Yes. I do, but she didn't say anything. I just kind of gathered from the way she is around you. Am I right in thinking that you like her too?"

"There might be some truth to it," Asmai sighed, staring over at Korra, "you think I should tell her?"

"Absolutely, you guys deserve to be happy," Sukara told her, softly, "and if it doesn't work out, you would be more than welcome in Femaoh if you wanted to drown your troubles with a friend."

"Jee thanks, I feel so much better," Asami chuckled, her voice shaking a little.

"Seriously though, I think you'll be fine," Sukara smiled, looking back out at the dance floor, "it's a day of love, take the risk Asami."

Asami nodded. Pushing herself off the table she took her first step toward Korra but stopped and turned back, "how do I get rid of Tenzin? Don't fancy baring my soul with an audience."

"I don't know," Sukara shrugged, moving to see round the people on the dance floor, "tell him Varrik's trying to jump off a building or something."

"Alright, I got this," Asami smiled, turning back to make her way over to Korra.

Sukara just smiled back as she watched her going over. It made her laugh when Tenzin literally ran away from the conversation, it made her wonder what Asami had actually chosen to say to him. She'd ask later.

End of part 3