Can I Stay?

Working with Asami wasn't going to work out. Not because of who her boss would be but because Sukara knows less than the average person about cars. Having only known of their existence for five years, she wasn't exactly an expert. It was nice to spend the day with her friend though.

Now though, Sukara had gone home. She had been sitting in the kitchen for a while, mainly avoiding writing that letter. Fortunately for her, she was saved by a loud knock on the door. It was late, so the knock was unusual but, Sukara answered all the same. Lucky that she did, as when she opened the door she found a crying Kai standing in the rain.

"What happened?" Sukara asked, a little panicked by the sight of the usually up beat and happy boy, crying on her doorstep.

"Can I come in?" he asked, the tears on his face merging with the rain as it fell.

"Of course," Sukara told him, stepping out of the way and all but pulling him through the door, "what's going on?"

"Me and Jinora, we got into a fight," he sobbed as Sukara made sure the door was shut properly, "she told me to leave, I didn't know where to go."

"It's okay," Sukara said, going to hug him but pulling away once she realised that his was soaked from the rain, "I'm going to grab a towel, I'll be right back okay."

######

Wrapping the towel round Kai's head, she rubbed his hair rather roughly to get it dry.

"Hey," he chuckled a little, having calmed down a bit since he got there.

"Tell me what's going on," Sukara smiled, pulling the towel off his head and wrapping it around his shoulders, "tell me exactly what she said."

"I've been out a lot recently," he told her, trying to steady his breathing, "on missions and stuff. And it's been with Opal and I think she's been getting a little jealous but, I didn't do anything I swear. I would never."

"It's okay," Sukara said, rubbing his shoulder with the towel as they sat on the couch, "if you didn't do anything wrong, then you should be okay. She probably just got a little heated and needs to calm down."

"But she told me to leave," Kai said, looking at her in the eye. He had caught up with her now, he had grown again.

"You can say a lot of things when you're angry," Sukara reassured him, placing her hands on his shoulders, "she probably didn't mean it."

"Can I stay with you please?" Kai asked, with his eyes red from crying he looked so small and helpless sitting in front of her, "I don't wanna go back tonight, I don't want to make it worse."

"Sure," Sukara smiled, pulling him into a hug, "I've got more rooms than I need in this house anyway. Feel free to fill whichever one you want."

Kai mumbled a thank you and he leaned into the hug, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tight. He was so glad that she was here now. He was so grateful that she gave him somewhere he could go that wasn't filled with people and responsibilities. She made him feel more at ease, more safe. She gave him a space away from work.