Cactus Juice

The town was quaint but busy. As the sun began to set, the night life started to appear as those finished with their day started to go home.
The group had put Lefty by some hay so that he could eat and get some rest while they went out to have some fun.

Kuvira didn't want to drink because they were supposed to be on a trip to heal Sukara and she didn't want to be in a state where she couldn't do anything to help if something went wrong. So, she agreed to stay with Kai.

The cactus juice at the bar was obviously not full strength or they would never sell more than one glass but, if you drank enough of it, it had similar effects.

This was made clear after Sukara came to talk to Kai and Kuvira while they sat in the corner away from most people.

"Hey kiddo," Sukara said, slurring her words as she plonked herself into the chair across from Kai, "I brought you something."

Slowly, she pushed a drink across the table at him, making him laugh.

"Sukara, no," Kuvira said, reaching over and pulling the drink away from both of them.

"Sukara yes," Sukara smiled lazily as she reached out for the cup again, only to have Kuvira pull it out of reach.

"You said he couldn't have any," Kuvira tried to reason with her but her attempts were futile, "he's too young, we all agreed."

"Hey, hey kid," Sukara stumbled over her words as she leaned across the table, "are, are you really... Gonna let this, this mushroom... Tell you how to live?"

"I would never," Kai laughed as he played along with whatever hallucinations Sukara was currently having, "let this mushroom tell me what to do."

"What did you call me?" Kuvira asked, frowning across the table at her drunk girlfriend.

"Listen lady, I know a marshmallow when I see one, okay?" Sukara told her as she waved her hand at Kuvira.

"Thought I was a mushroom?" Kuvira asked, quite entertained by Sukara.

"Could be either," Sukara smiled as she lifted her hand and booped Kuvira on the nose. Her extended finger continued to poke Kuvira in the face as she spoke, "squishy."

"I think its time for bed," Kuvira sighed as she got up from her seat and making her way round to get Sukara.

"The mushroom is trying to kidnap me," Sukara whispered loudly to Kai as Kuvira pulled her out of her seat.

"The mushroom's a friend, don't worry," he laughed, watching Kuvira all but carry Sukara out of the bar area and up to their room.

--

Sukara stopped them at the door before they went in making Kuvira frown.

"Sorry but you may come no further," Sukara told her, leaning on the door frame, "I'm sure you're a very nice mushroom but I can't."

"What?"

"I have a girl, I can't," Sukara explained, her eyes starting to close with how tired she was, "I don't have mushrooms in my life, I already have the perfect girl, I don't need mushrooms in my life. I'm sure you're very nice but I love another."

Though an inconvenience, with how cute Sukara was being, Kuvira couldn't help but to let it play out.

"Why don't I go get her?" Kuvira suggested, trying to surpress the smile on her face, "who am I looking for?"

"The most beautiful girl in the room," Sukara slurred as she wandered backwards into the room, "she should be down there. Everyone else is."

Kuvira wasn't sure if her blush was hidden by the hallucination or not but she could certainly feel it on her face as Sukara shut the bedroom door.

#####

Kuvira arrived back a few minutes later, she hoped that this would work because she didn't know what else she was going to do. Luckily, Sukara was fine and recognised her straight away. Even telling her about the mushroom lady.

"I'm surprised I didn't finally get to see you dance," Kuvira smiled as she folded her clothes beside the bed, "I know Korra was really going for it."

"No, no dancing," Sukara said, shaking her head as she sat cross legged on the bed, holding herself up by her hands, "that's not allowed."

"What?" Kuvira asked as she climbed onto the bed next to her.

"Dancing is for bugs and poor folk and we are better than that," Sukara quoted as she swayed a little.

Kuvira's expression saddened a little as she heard Sukara quote her mother's favourite word.

"You know, you really shouldn't listen to your mother so much," Kuvira said, reaching out to lay Sukara down but she was pushed off rather harshly.

"You should respect family more," Sukara told her, a frown forming on her brow, "her words were harsh but they were always true. She would never lie to me. It's against our honour."

"I'm sorry baby," Kuvira said, her tone soft and comforting as she tried to lay Sukara down again. This time Sukara leant in and allowed Kuvira to guide her, "I didn't mean to upset you."

"I let it slip Vira," Sukara sighed as Kuvira pulled the covers up over the two of them, "our family was proud, honourable. And I let it go. I let it go for power... And modernity. Even now, I'm not doing it right."

"Its okay," Kuvira said quietly, stroking Sukara's hair, trying to get her to fall asleep, "you are one of the most traditional people I know, your honour is just fine."

It didn't take Sukara long before she fell asleep. She was already almost gone since she got to the room and with Kuvira holding her and stroking her hair, she had no chance at staying awake for long.