I'm Not A Child

Getting herself stuck into finding a job was what was distracting Sukara from that letter. She hadn't expected a reply if she was honest with herself, the not knowing gave her a small piece of hope but, knowing that leaving had hurt Kuvira so badly that she didn't want to see her anymore, that ripped her heart into pieces.

Lin had agreed to take Sukara along with her for the day. Being a police chief, Sukara thought that the day would at least be interesting, she hadn't imagined stacks of paperwork and a meeting with President Moon.

Lin and Zhu Li had been talking about several different things for a while now and Sukara had begun to wander around the room. She had given up on listening the moment that they mentioned budgets.

"And now, I wanted to talk to you about Kuvira's pardon," Zhu Li said, flipping over a piece of paper in front of her.

Lin froze for a second as Sukara stopped walking to listen.

"We can talk about this later," Lin told Zhu Li, trying to conserve Sukara's feelings.

"I'm not a child Lin," Sukara said, putting on her bravest face, "I'm fine, really."

Lin frowned, Sukara had been off for days now but, if she said it was okay, Lin didn't want to push it.

"Okay," Lin shrugged turning back to President Moon, "what was the problem?"

"It was asked for by some of her old supporters," Zhu Li explained, "but I don't have that much of a problem with it. She's seemed to have proven herself as trustworthy. No infractions with house arrest, she's helped multiple times on Avatar business. Defeating Guan."

"I see, so you're worried about the public opinion," Lin said, keeping half an eye on Sukara as the avatar came and sat back down.

"She hurt a lot of people," Zhu Li continued, "while she's still on house arrest in Zaofu, she's out of sight out of mind, but the people of Rebuplic City lost a lot of their homes. They are unlikely to be forgiving."

"Right, so why is it being considered?" Lin asked, a little confused as to why it had been brought up in the first place.

"There's been no public out cry," Zhu Li told her, leaning back in her chair, "the people asking for it haven't been quiet either. The people of Republic City have been silent about it."

Lin frowned, still confused with this back and for and why the president wanted to talk to her about it.

"You've spent more time around her than I have," Zhu Li said, pushing the pardon document across the table, "and when you said that this one was coming too, I wanted more of an opinion on if she's changed."

"She has," Sukara told her, picking at the scratches in the table, "she knows what she's done. Kuvira didn't want to hurt anyone anyway, she only wanted to help."

Zhu Li nodded and turned to Lin, she looked concerned about the young woman as  stared at the table. Zhu Li didn't have time to ask though, she was working at the moment.

"Have to say I agree that she's changed," Lin said, frowning over at Sukara, "she definitely doesn't seem to still want to take over the Earth Kingdom."

"Alright then," Zhu Li smiled, pulling the document back over the table and standing up, "I'll get on with this, I'll make sure to keep an eye her though. More like probation, if we do it gradually it'll be an easier transition for everyone."

"Sounds like a plan," Lin said, standing from her chair to shake Zhu Li's hand.

"Thank you for your time Chief Beifong," President Moon said as she left the room.

"It's my pleasure Madame President."