The Return

Korra waited in confusion as Sukara sat perfectly still in front of her. She had tried tapping her to ask what she was doing but she was already gone.

After a few minutes, Sukara opened her eyes again, leaving Korra to raise an eyebrow in question. Sukara simply gave a smile and held out both of her hands to Korra. When Korra just frowned at her, she brought her fingertips to her palms sharply making patting sounds. This didn't help much either.

"Grab my arms," Sukara said finally, waiting impatiently for Korra to do as she asked.

"Why?"

"Just do it," Sukara told her as Korra complied, rolling her eyes.

She placed her forearm on Sukara's palm and clasped her hand around the arm behind it. Now linked at each arm, Korra just stared, waiting for an answer.

"Do you trust me?" Sukara smirked, getting excited now.

"What are you doing?" Korra asked, just wanting to know what was going on.

"We're going to the spirit world," Sukara told her as she readjusted herself.

"We could just walk you know," Korra sighed as she went to let go of her but Sukara grabbed tighter.

"No we have to go this way," Sukara said, hope shining threw in her eyes.

"Why?"

"It's a surprise," Sukara said, a wide smile on her face, "just trust me."

Apprehensively, Korra sighed and closed her eyes. The pair sat in the quiet allowing their spiritual energy to flow through them. Connecting, the energy forced the Avatar state causing a sharp intake of breath from both of them.

#####

Blinking their eyes, they arrived in the spirit world. Still holding on to each other, they stood in the green of the fields.

"What the hell was that?" Korra asked, a little nervous to let go.

"We are the balance of a new age," Sukara quoted, allowing Korra to cling to her a little while longer, "one without the other and the scales fall. We're connected."

"Did you know about this the whole time?" Korra asked, getting her bearings a little better as she released Sukara's arms.

"No, I had a hunch," Sukara said excitedly, skipping off towards the trees, "now come on! I gotta show you something."

Sukara began to run with her excitement, leaving Korra to chase after her, still very confused with what's going on.

Skipping through the trees, Sukara lead Korra to the place Unalaq showed her. Proudly, she stood in front of the rock. It was carved into a dish shape at the top. Small balls of light dancing within it.

"What's this?" Korra asked, frowning at the rock.

"It's you," Sukara told her, stepping aside so that Korra could look at it properly. "It's 10,000 years worth of you."

Korra's eyes opened wide. Her past lives. Every single on of them, right in front of her. She couldn't believe it, it seemed almost too easy.

"How did you do this?" she almost whispered as she reached out and touched the dish. "I tried for months after Unalaq's attack."

"You didn't have me last time," Sukara said softly, placing her hand on Korra's shoulder, "when you said he'd destroyed them it gave me an idea. I had to know where they went. This means a lot to you, I couldn't just sit and leave them. They're gonna be busted up for a while, it might take a long time before it works properly."

"As long as they're with me," Korra said, tears of happiness pooling in her eyes, "that's all that matters. How do I put them back?"

"Um... I didn't get that far," Sukara said quickly, coming to join her at the edge of the dish, "have you tried, like, touching it?"

Korra took a deep breath and reached into the bowl. She waited for a second, allowing herself open up to the spirits. Nothing, her hand went straight through. Korra opened her eyes again and thought for a second.

"Go over here," she said, pulling Sukara round to the opposite side of the dish, "give me your hands."

Sukara obliged and waited for some instructions or something to happen.

"If Vaatu took them from Raava," Korra explained, "maybe you have to give them back or something. And with that whole balance thing, it would makes sense if we had to do this together."

Sukara nodded, following her train of thought. "so, do I like just give it to you or... Do you think there's like a ritual type thing?"

Korra shrugged, letting go of Sukara, "it can't hurt to try."

Sukara nodded again. She reached into the dish, hopeful that something would come of it.

Her hands felt the warmth as the balls of light sat in her palms. Cautiously, she lifted her hands. They followed. The spirits stayed resting in her hands as she lifted them. It was working. She offered them forward.

"This seems too easy," Korra frowned, holding her hands under Sukara's.

"Take the win Korra," Sukara smiled, allowing the spirits to fall into Korra's hands, "its symbolic."

The lights fell into Korra's hands, seeping into her skin. They went up her arms and face, collecting in her eyes. The light increased as the spirits realigned with Korra, filling the space, blinding them.

---

Sukara awoke to the sound of Korra's voice.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked as she tapped Sukara on the face, "there we go, welcome back."

Sukara sat up with Korra's help. The energy used to reunite Korra with her past lives must have taken taken quite the toll on her. They seemed to have come back to the human world now.

"I'm pretty sure it worked," Korra smiled widely, "thank you."

Korra hugged Sukara tightly. Wanting to make sure she knew how grateful she was to her. "Now, I gotta take a nap," Korra sighed, getting up from the floor, "that wore me out."