I'm Sorry

Everyone came together earlier in the day for a beautiful ceremony and celebration of Su and Baatar Sr's marriage. They had all had a wonderful time.

Spirits were high for their last dinner but not for everyone. Baatar Jr had been watching Kuvira and Sukara all day. It had been a big distraction for him, it felt like they had been joined at the hip the whole day. They behaved more like friends than guard and prisoner.

"I'm so glad that you all came," Su announced to the table, getting everyone's attention, "I have had such a lovely time, so thank you."

"It's always a pleasure Su," Korra smiled, placing her drink back down on its mat.

"It'll be a shame to see everyone go though," Baatar Sr said, a warm smile on his face, "I have enjoyed having you all around for such a special time. I'm sure we'll have to figure out a new arrangement for Kuvira, aren't you moving to Republic City Sukara?"

Sukara looked taken aback, she had forgotten about all of that in truth. She hadn't been thinking about what was going to happen after this week was over at all.

"I'm sure it won't be a problem," Baatar Jr said, only half glancing over at her, "someone with proper training perhaps."

"What do you mean Jun-- sorry, Baatar?" Su asked, saving Sukara from getting defensive with him.

Sukara had apologised for verbally attacking him the last time they saw each other. She decided to wait for an explanation first so she took a sip of her drink instead.

"I'm just saying, that as a prison guard," Baatar Jr explained, continuing on cutting something on his plate, "her job is to guard Kuvira, not pleasure her."

Sukara almost choked at his choice of words. She had breathed in some of her drink causing her to cough a bit before she could say anything. "I'm sorry, what?"

There was no way he could know, she thought, watching his face closely, not a chance. Surely.

"I saw you, playing power disc," he said sourly, "you're not here to entertain her."

Oh thank the spirits, she thought. Her anxiety calmed a little.

"She's still a war criminal," he snapped, continuing with his ranting.

"So are you!" Sukara exclaimed, finally firing back at him, "and so am I, and Varrik..."

"Allegedly," Varrik piped up at the end of the table.

"... and President Moon, and technically Bolin." Sukara continued, getting quite angry, "We know a lot of war criminals. And no one else seems to get scrutinised the way she does. So maybe, we should re-evaluate your comfy living as well, are you even guarded? How do we know you're not going to try something?"

"Alright," Su said, cutting them both off, "let's not argue on our last night. Personally I think that she did her job just fine, and she's more than welcome to stay if she wishes to continue on."

"Are you trying to steal her away from us Su?" Asami asked, trying to shift the topic as Baatar and Sukara continued to glare at each other.

"Well, she doesn't have to decide now," Su said, gladly starting a different conversation, "sleep on it and tell me tomorrow."

The conversation quickly changed and split off as the chatter started up again, but Sukara couldn't get her mind off of Baatar. She had let herself get so angry and it wasn't even that big of a deal. He clearly just wanted a rise out of her, after all, nothing came of it. Why had she given it to him? She should have been more controlled than that. She was more controlled than that.