Waking Up

When Sukara finally regained consciousness, she opened her eyes to see Korra sitting in the chair next to the bed. She was still quite groggy as she turned her head to look at her.

"Oh hey," Korra smiled, noticing that Sukara was awake, "are you okay?"

"Brilliant, doing great," Sukara croaked sarcastically.

Korra gave her a soft smile as she shuffled her chair closer to the bed. They had been taking it in turns to watch over her while Sukara slept for the past two days.

"You helped me," Sukara said, weakly lifting her arm from under the blanket in an attempt to reach out to Korra.

"It's fine, what's family for," Korra smiled, taking Sukara's hand.

"I attacked you," Sukara could feel the guilt clenching in her gut as she looked at Korra.

"Don't worry about it," Korra reassured her, "that wasn't you. Even Vaatu said you'd never do that."

"Still, you didn't have to," Sukara told her, "you could've easily left me, so thank you."

"You're my friend," Korra said softly, looking down at the red scars that went up from underneath Sukara's bandage wrap, across her hand. The lines went around her thumb as they travelled up to the tips of her index and middle fingers. "I would never leave you, especially not when you're in pain."

"Thank you," Sukara said, her tone was soft and tired.

Even after sleeping for two days, Sukara was still tired as she woke up properly. The grogginess was starting to fade but there was still a haze over her brain as she lay in the bed.

"Oh, I needed to tell you something," Korra said excitedly, shuffling forward on the chair, "noticing anything new?"

Korra smiled widely as sat up properly, lifting her head a little.

"Umm," Sukara thought about it for a second as she looked at Korra, "no."

Korra sighed as she used her hand to gesture towards her neck. A strip of blue fabric sat there with a circular stone attached to it.

"You got a new necklace," Sukara frowned, unsure of why it was important.

"Asami got it for me," Korra said, trying to drop every hint possible to try and get Sukara to catch on to what she was telling her.

"It's very nice."

"Do you know what a betrothal necklace is?" Korra asked, letting her hand relax back into her lap.

"No," Sukara said simply, "we didn't have them in the old world. And I don't think they have them anywhere else, but here apparently."

"But you know what betrothal means right?" Korra asked, looking down at Sukara's slightly bewildered face.

Sukara brain was taking its time to put the pieces together, "when you promise to marry someone," Sukara mumbled, as she went through her thought process, "Asami gave it to you, as a promise of marriage. Engaged. You're engaged to Asami!"

"Finally," Korra sighed, throwing her hands up before bringing them back down into her lap, "I guess you must be older than the betrothal necklace tradition, weird tho-- oh, yeah I forgot."

Korra exclaimed as she felt something in her pocket.

"Iroh had to go to do United Forces stuff," Korra explained as she pulled a gold pin out of her pocket, "but he said that you should have this. That you'd want it."

Sukara smiled at the pin as Korra put it into her hand. Her thumb rubbing over the fire nation emblem at the head of the brooch.

"Thank you," Sukara almost whispered at she continued to look at Azula's pin.

"I'm gonna go get Kuvira," Korra smiled, getting up from the chair, "she's gonna want to see you before you go back to sleep."

Sukara nodded as Korra left the room, in truth she wasn't that tired anymore. She had woken up more as they were talking. Now, she was just grateful to be alive and with the people she cared about. Mostly though, she was just happy it was over.