A Vow

Guan took Sukara away from the angry crowd. He knew he had lost, he knew that but, if he could knock her down a little to get away, then he would.

He stood back from her as they waited for Kuvira to be brought to them. They had stayed outside, only travelling to a space in front of what looked like a warehouse near the edge of the town.

"And there she is," he smiled as Kuvira was brought out and released from her handcuffs, "all shiny and new."

Sukara frowned, looking over at her wife who had a deep glare on her face.

"What did you do to her?" Sukara asked, only quickly glancing back over at Guan.

"He showed me the truth," Kuvira sneered at her.

"You brainwashed her," Sukara nodded, the anger that she had kept contained finally boiling back up.

"No, he told me who you were," Kuvira said, getting into a fighting stance, "who you are."

"And I made sure to do this one properly," Guan smirked as he stepped to walk a away, "so good luck talking your way out of this one."

"You're not going anywhere," Sukara snapped, taking the water from a nearby fountain and freezing a dome round him.

Sukara was only just able to do it before getting thrown back to the ground. She looked up to see Kuvira breathing heavily while she glared at her. Sukara only sat herself up.

"What? Are you not going to fight back?" Kuvira asked, frowning in confusion

"I'm not going to hurt you Kuvira, I made a vow," Sukara told her, slowly pushing herself back to her feet, "I have hurt you once and that broke me, I will never do it again."

"But I'm attacking you," Kuvira said, stepping back, confused about why she was acting like this. It went against everything the conditioning had told her.

"I know," Sukara shrugged, looking at her with a small smile, "and I forgive you, because you did the same for me, and I know it's not you."

"Fight back," Kuvira shouted, sending a metal strip towards her.

Sukara flinched slightly as it came at her face, cutting into her cheek.

"You were my everything, for so long," Sukara smiled, ignoring the pain in her face, "you still are, but you share that space with our daughter now. With Voya. You and her are the two things I cannot live without."

Sukara paused as she tried to get closer to her but Kuvira flinched back.

"I love you so much Kuvira," Sukara continued, getting emotional as she spoke, "I need you to know that, especially if you go through with this because you're gonna wake up and feel like shit and I need you to know that you're forgiven."

The fear and confusion on Kuvira's face broke Sukara's heart. She'd get to Guan afterwards, right now she had to focus on her.

Sukara stepped forward again. Once she knew that Kuvira wasn't going to attack or run away, Sukara went up to her, holding out her hand just in front of hers.

"You know me, you already knew who I was," Sukara said softly as Kuvira's hand brushed up against hers, "all he's done is change your perspective."

Sukara lifted her hand to tuck a loose piece of hair behind her ear, letting her thumb brush across her cheek at she looked at her.

"I'm going to get you better," Sukara whispered, brushing her hand into Kuvira's hair once she had leaned into Sukara's hand, "I promise. I will always keep you safe."