Leaving

The was no way that Sukara could sleep. She had managed to slip out of Kuvira's embrace without waking her so that she could sit up in the bed.

Her mind had been racing ever since Kuvira had pulled her back down onto the mattress. Details of the fight were starting to come back to her. It felt as though she were watching a mover. Like what she was remembering wasn't hers. But the images were still viewed through her eyes.

How could she have hurt her? How could she have attacked Korra? Her mind immediately accepted blaming Vaatu, pushing the guilt away at all costs but, it didn't feel right. Like she was hiding again. The guilt had to be hers, in part at least. Vaatu came from her after all.

Sukara turned her head to look at Kuvira. Sleeping soundly. She was so peaceful. Angelic with her hand tucked under her face, black hair strewn over her eyes. Sukara reached out, a gentle smile on her face as she pushed the pieces of hair out of her face.

How could she have hurt her? A woman so beautiful. So special to her. The bruise on her spine was there because of her.

If her problems weren't over, then she had to fix it. She had hurt people that she loved. She had hurt the woman she loved most. Sukara couldn't let that happen again. She wouldn't.

"I'm sorry," Sukara whispered, her voice cracking as her eyes started to well up.

Quietly and with little disturbance, Sukara slipped out from under the blanket. Her feet hit the soft rug, the pain in her chest growing as she made her decision. Her clothes had been brought over, by who she wasn't sure, but they were in the wardrobe. She took out what she needed, the coat that Katara gave her when she first woke up, snow boots, trousers and a top with long sleeves with fingerless gloves in them.

Sukara didn't want to go, but if dealing with Vaatu was going to be as dangerous as it was when she fought Korra, then she couldn't risk Kuvira getting hurt again.

As she was lacing up her boats, Kuvira moved in her sleep. Sukara froze as she turned over and faced her. Her eyes still closed as her unintentional guilt trip ripped into Sukara's heart.

Snow mittens in one hand, Sukara walked over and kneeled by the side of the bed, "I really am sorry my love," she whispered, brushing her thumb across Kuvira's cheek. She leant forward and kissed her on the forehead.

She had decided to leave a note. She didn't want Kuvira to panic when she woke up but she didn't want her to follow either so, she wrote that she loved her but not where she was going. Sukara left the slip of paper on the dresser and went one last time to the bed.

"Forgive me when I come back," Sukara whispered into her hair, kissing her again, "I'm sorry but I have to go. I won't hurt you again. I love you."