Come Home

The social worker was a stoney faced woman with thin rimmed glasses that sat on the end of her nose. She came to talk with Voya for a little while but she mainly stuck to discussing the situation with Lin.

"I'd like to get her placed quickly," she said, closing the file she was holding, "to avoid any further confusion for Voya. I don't want her moving around so much, I'd rather get her in and settled somewhere as fast as possible."

"Do you have a family in mind?" Lin asked.

"I do, but I'd have to check them out first," the social worker frowned, "they aren't on file yet. You did say that Kuvira and Sukara were together?"

"Yeah, their engaged," Lin smiled, knowing that Sukara would be more than happy to take Voya in.

"Housing?"

"They live together, good size house near the market."

"Rooms?"

"Four, I think."

"Jobs?"

"Kuvira works at Future Industries and Sukara is a bending teacher, she's waiting for the new academy to open."

"Voya seems very comfortable with them," the social worker said, glancing over to where they were sitting by the desk, "if they want to, I think they'd be a good fit for a foster family."

Lin nodded, containing her smile with her usual serious expression, "Kuvira," she called, causing the metal bender to look up, "come here a moment."

Kuvira stood from where she was sitting on the floor, she had been playing some kind of game with Voya when Lin called her. She crossed the room with a smile.

"What's up?" she asked as she approached them.

"What do you think of Voya?" Lin asked, making sure to study her face as she spoke.

"She's a sweet kid," Kuvira said, a soft smile on her face, "brave, clearly intelligent, curious. Why?"

"Without immediate family, Voya needs a place to stay," Lin explained, "Mrs Green thinks you'll be a good fit if you want to. I wanted to ask you first, I didn't want to force the idea of children on you before you talked about it."

"We have talked about it," Kuvira smiled as she looked back at the desk where Sukara was getting her cheeks squished by Voya, "we both want kids. I'll ask her about it but I doubt she'll say no."

#####

Two officers were sent back to the apartment where Voya used to live to pack some of her stuff. Once they returned they made sure to keep them out of sight while Sukara spoke with Voya. She had agreed almost immediately when Kuvira asked about them taking care of her.

"Hey, so you know how Lin told you that you couldn't go home for a while," Sukara said, choosing her words as carefully as she could. Voya nodded, a lot had happened today and just excepting things seemed like the way to go. "well, we were wondering if you would like to stay with us for a bit."

Voya's face lit up at the idea. She had really enjoyed hanging out with everyone and a sleepover sounded like a lot of fun. She knew that her Ma was gone and though she didn't fully understand what that meant, she was glad to have made new friends.