Jump

As Sukara heart beat out of her chest, her legs began to to shake. She was scared before but now it felt different. Like she had more to lose.

"We're going to get her off of it, right Tenzin?" Kai asked, looking at his airbending master with fear and hope in his eyes.

"We're going to try," Tenzin reassured him, stepping forward towards Sukara.

"I was ready to die," Sukara sighed, being as careful as she could not to move her foot even an inch, "why did you have to go and make me have second thoughts."

"We're not going to let you die," Kai told her.

"Yeah I have been screamed at by Kuvira before," Bolin said, trying to make light of their situation, "gotta tell you, not my favourite pass time. Though if you die I feel like we may not survive that scolding."

Sukara chuckled a little. Kuvira could be terrifying when she needed to be, she'd seen many a Zaofu guard deliberately avoid her when she's in a bad mood. As she thought about Kuvira, her face started to blind her mind. Pushing itself to the front. Her laugh. Her smile. Her frown when she annoyed her. Her tears when she finds out what happened. How could she leave her?
Looking up, she saw Kai, he was almost in tears but she could see the determination in his face. He had grown so much since she had first met him all those years ago, he was a young man but looking at him now, she could still see the little boy in his eyes. How could she leave either of them?

"Are you ready to live now?" Tenzin smiled as he watched her expression change.

"Get me off this thing," Sukara said, the fear of losing everyone finally sinking  in, "please."

"Okay," Tenzin smiled again, he stood up properly after leaning down to look her in the eye, "Bolin, we'll need to get pressure back on that mine the second her foot leaves it, I need you to cover it in rocks when she does. Kai you're going to need to contain the explosion if it happens. Make an air dome as she jumps and apply as much pressure as you can. Sukara, you and I are going to get you as high as possible to get you away from it. I'll send a shoot under you but you have to get yourself high and out of the way, can you do that?"

"Tenzin, my main focus on bending was fire," Sukara joked, her voice a little shakey, "I can fly."

"Okay then," he said, letting go of her so that they could begin, "and Asami, I need you to get as far back as possible, we'll make sure she's safe I promise, but we don't want you getting hurt in the process."

Asami nodded and turned to run back a bit.

The boys all took their stances. Focused and ready to act quickly.

"One, two, three," Tenzin counted down, on three he sent a gust of wind up underneath Sukara giving her a boost as she shot up off of the mine. As fast as he could Bolin shifted the earth on both sides to cover it. Kai making sure to encase it in an air dome to keep them all safe.

Sukara touched down lightly just behind Asami after getting a safe distance from the mine. They all held still for a second as they watched it, praying that it wouldn't go off.

"Ta-da!" Sukara said with a smile, trying lift the mood as they all turned to see where she had gone, "now for my next trick--"

"You asshole," Asami shouted at her, punching her hard in the shoulder.

"Ow!" Sukara exclaimed, rubbing her shoulder as Asami lunged forward and wrapped her arms around her.

"Don't ever do that again, and you don't get to move on from this like it's just another Tuesday," Asami told her, burying her face in her shoulder as Sukara hugged her back, "because it isn't. You saved my life. Thank you."

"It's alright Asami, really," Sukara smiled at her, "put me there tomorrow, I'd do it again. Put me there now, I'd do it again. You're my friend and your life is special to me, of course I'm going to protect it."

Asami smiled back at her, chuckling a little as she watched Sukara continue to rub her shoulder.

"Sorry I hit you so hard," she said, giving her a sympathetic look, "I know you're probably gonna get another one when Kuvira finds out what you did."

"You saved Asami's life," Tenzin said as he walked past them, signalling that they should keep moving, "will she really be angry at you for this?"

"For jumping on a mine?" Sukara asked, not really sure how well he knew Kuvira, "for intending to sacrifice my own life without saying goodbye? Yeah I'm gonna assume so. So thank you Asami for pretending that Kuvira desperately wanted to talk to me. At least I get to see her be angry with me."

"I wasn't pretending," Asami said simply as she made room for Kai to walk next to Sukara, "she does want to speak to you."

"Oh spirits," Sukara sighed, "I haven't done anything wrong recently have I? Other than that but she doesn't know about that yet."

"I don't think it's anything bad," Asami smiled, knowing exactly what Kuvira wanted to say.