I Know You

The forest had lead into a canyon type area. The walk had been what Sukara needed to calm down. She couldn't believe how worked up she had gotten, even almost fighting with Korra. That man didn't deserve to die, and the others definitely didn't deserve to be attacked by dark spirits because of her. She felt awful. She would go back eventually but, she wanted to sit for a moment before she made her way back.

She was crouched down with her back to the rock when she heard footsteps coming closer to her. Quickly, she turned her head to see the man that had run away from her earlier.

Sukara stood, ready to face him. The anger from before, having only been pushed out of mind, came back into her view.

"Sukara," he smiled wickedly, his calmness unnerving, "Empress of the five nations, protector of the--"

"Shut up," she told him forcefully, not wanting to have her titles recited to her. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you."

"Why you shouldn't burn me like you did my invitation?" he asked, a playful frown on his face. He seemed too calm for the situation he was in, like he knew something she didn't, "you know I spent all day making that. That was my third attempt."

"Tough shit," Sukara snapped at him.

"Now that we've established that I know you," he went on, annoyingly unfazed by Sukara, "I want to show you why I know, and why I know that I shouldn't."

"You said invitation," Sukara said, not taking much notice of his show and tell idea, "how did you even know where I was?"

"I followed you."

"Creepy," Sukara said simply, not comfortable with the answer but happy enough not to need any further explanation, "how did you know I'd come this way? How do you know I wouldn't just stay with my friends?"

The man gave a smirk, like he had been waiting for her to ask this since he had seen her. "Empress Sukara does not calm easily. It is best to leave her with her own thoughts as to avoid your name joining the execution list in the morning." He quoted something but, Sukara had never heard that before, though she did recognise the context.

"What was that?" Sukara asked, demanding to know where he had heard such a thing and if he hadn't, why he had such an accurate guess as to what she was like as a dictator.

"It's a quote," the man smiled, relishing in the confused expression on the ex-empress's face, "from a diary. The diary of one of your guards, from 20,000 years ago. I told you, I want to show you something. A collection of evidence of the old world. Of you. Its kept in one of the hollows of the canyon. Preserving the memory of a time with one ruler above all."

Sukara stopped for a moment, a slight panic and dread went over her. "That's impossible."

"Impossible? No." the man told her, as he began to walk backwards further into the canyon, "how do you think Chin the Conqueror got the idea to conquer? Where do you think the Fire Nation got their inspiration to take ove the world? They'd both been shown that it'd been done before. And, I have to ask, she sleeps in your bed. Were you an inspiration to the Great Uniter as well?"

"No," Sukara snarled, the likelihood of his survival shrinking with every word, "Are you trying to piss me off?"

"No, I'm not," he said, taking a cautionary step back from her, "I'm just trying to show you what you've done."

"I know what I've done," she snapped at him again, his sense of superiority was really starting to get on her nerves, "just show me the hollow."

"Right this way."