Tell Me

It had been a couple of days since Sukara had gone to find Kuvira. Kai found that looking after a three year old was actually harder than it looked. Even though he lived there, he hadn't appreciated just how much Sukara and Kuvira did. In all honesty, Jinora had been there with him, after looking after three siblings she had quite a bit of insight.

Playing with her was definitely the most enjoyable part of it. Voya sat in his lap while he took them around the house on an air scooter. Voya giggling the whole way round.

He had only just set her down when there was a knock at the door. He left Voya in the living and went to answer the door. Opening it, he froze upon seeing the police chief standing in front of him, Korra just behind.

"Chief Beifong," he nodded, only opening the door enough so that she could see him.

"I need to see Sukara," she said, cutting to the chase, "I know she's upset but we need to update her on what's going on."

"You can't," he blurted out, gaining a raised eyebrow from Lin, "she's sick, really sick. We all are. It's a plague house, you need to stay back."

He faked a cough to try and sell his lie a little further, but Lin just stared at him.

"Where is she?" Lin demanded, putting her hand on the door.

"In bed, asleep," he said, sticking to his story.

Lin sighed, knowing full well that Kai was about as good a liar as Sukara was. "Can we see Voya then? I wanna know how she's doing."

"Oh she's fine," Kai chuckled nervously, trying to wave her off.

"Grandma Lin!" Voya cheered as she came to investigate who was at the door.

"Hey munchkin," Lin smiled, kneeling down to talk to her as the little girl pushed past Kai's legs, "Do you mind if I come in for a minute?"

The little girl nodded happily, grabbing Lin by the hand and pulling her inside. Kai stepped back, defeated by the three year old.

"How are you?" Lin asked her as she was lead into the living room, "Kai said you weren't feeling well."

"Uh," Voya paused as she looked up at Kai who was nodding enthusiastically at her, fake coughing to show her what to do, "yeah."

She gave a fake cough the best she could manage, only making Lin struggle to stifle a laugh.

"Voya, I'm looking for your Momma," Lin said, "do you know where she is?"

Kai tried to signal to her for the answer but Voya didn't look at him, she just shook her head and folded her arms. Digging her heels in as Lin tried to pry further.

"Did she tell you not to tell me?" Lin asked, giving up on the direct root and trying to take a different approach, "because I'm only trying to help her."

Stubborn as ever, Voya just shook her head again.

"Okay, can you tell Korra?" Lin asked, pleased when she saw that Voya had started to think about it, "we want to get your Mommy back to, but we want Momma to be safe as well."

After a moment, Voya nodded. Lin got up as to not cause the child any more stress and walked towards Kai to leave the room.

"We need to talk," she told him as she passed.