It's Going To Be Okay

It was tense as they waited for Iroh II and the United Forces to arrive, everyone was worried after hearing about the super weapon and how it was attached to a giant mecha suit.

He wouldn't admit it but Kai was terrified. He kept bouncing his legs up and down and fidgeting as he sat. He hated not being able to do anything and just waiting for Kuvira to arrive.

Sukara watched him as he began to stare into space, his leg still rapidly tapping the floor. Gently, she placed a hand on his shoulder trying to comfort him. He broke his stare to look up at her, she had made him jump by snapping him out of his stress.

"It's going to be okay," she told him, her tone soft and sympathetic.

"What if we lose?" he said looking back down at the floor, "what if we can't keep the city safe?"

"Then we'll run," she said, moving her hand over his shoulder to pull him close, "and we'll rethink and we'll come back tomorrow."

He leaned into her hug, allowing her to support him.

"I wish this had never happened," he told her, his voice shaking, "I wish that spirit weapons weren't a thing. I wish people would just stop hurting everyone to get power. I wish I didn't have to do this."

"I know, it's scary," Sukara said, rubbing his arm, just holding him tight while she had the chance, "and it looks like there's no way we can win but, that's not true. There is always a way. Whether we find it today or five years from now, we will find it and I will be with you every step."

Kai nodded, slowing his breathing as he calmed himself down. He forced himself to stop bouncing his leg and looked up at Sukara.

"Does it hurt? Dying?" he asked, forcing back his tears as he tried to be brave.

"You're not going to die," Sukara told him firmly, "I won't let that happen. Anywhere you go during this, I'll be right behind you. I promise to protect you."

"And Jinora? And Opal? And--" Kai started, rambling out names of the people he cared about.

"I don't know if I have that many hands," Sukara joked sarcastically, "if I'm already holding yours and I'm seriously considering giving the other to chief Beifong, you know how easily scared Lin gets."

"I'm serious," Kai laughed, pushing her off of him, "what if they get hurt? What if Jinora gets hurt?"

"I can't babysit you all, this is a war," she told him, her tone more serious, "people are probably going to get hurt. I can do what I can to look out for you guys but, you're my main priority okay? I won't lose you."

Kai nodded, he didn't know what to say. No one had ever said anything like that to him before. Of course, the air nomads had become family to him after they took him in but they never talked like this.

She had cut him off before he had gotten to her name but he worried about her as well. He didn't know how he would cope losing her as well. When they first met, it had been a fun friendship but now, after he had visited her so many times in Femaoh it had become more than that. She felt more like an older sister than a friend. Someone he could let his guard down with.

"And who protects you?" he asked, his voice small and soft.

Sukara paused for a moment and even looked like she was going to answer but Korra came bursting into the room.

"General Iroh's here," she said, still holding onto the door, "it's time to go."

Sukara gave Korra a nod and turned back to Kai, "I'll be back soon. I promise."